Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a short ram intake today and now the car won't idle if the MAF is hooked up, and won't drive if it isn't hooked up. I did spray it with a little intake cleaner, but I can't tell if its the maf or the harness. I checked the voltage but can't get a clear answer from it.

summary: it will run with the maf off but throws the cel and won't drive properly.
It won't even idle if the maf is plugged in. :shrug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned the maf after I was having the issues. It seemed fine as far as the filaments looked. I also hit the connections with contact cleaner to no avail. It may be a vacuum line issue as I had some trouble with the small one that goes to the back of the intake. Anyway to check if its a vacuum line and not the maf??

·
Registered
215 Posts
you cant clean a nissan maf. you may have to get a new one. just dont get an auto zone one. they break to fast. get one at a junk yard or buy a new one from nissan. i can hook you up if you would like. just let me know what car you have

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one on the way just in case. My mother in law is a secretary at a junk yard in pa and they cut me a deal on one for 25 bucks plus shipping. Should be here tomorrow then I will swap them out and see if thats the problem. Is there a cretain distance that the maf needs to be from the throttle body or from the filter?? I would assume the flow of air is the same at either spot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
thats good. you lucky son. anyway im asuming its the same. although the air behind the maf is different from in front. it may be a bit slower

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am really thinking its the maf now. I had the entire system off and the maf unplugged and it would idle wit hthe cel on. That tells me that the vacuum lines connected to the intake aren't affecting it to much because there wasn't any flow or pressure in the intake. I just hope it is the maf and the maf swap works. I will update on sunday after the swap. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i found that my engine runns better with the maf about 12" away with all the vacum behind it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts