Nissan Forum banner

Intake idea........

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Katana200sx 
#1 ·
Okay guys I was thinking of not removing my stock intake completely. I was wanting to just remove the air box and just throw on a cone filter to the stock tubing, because the tubing is very short an is pretty much straight on my GA. So my question is...... what kind of diameter filter will fit that S tube? I was looking at the APC intimidator filter for it but will it work? Also...... how does the stock air box come out and also at what part do I disconnect? Just the box or all that other junk between tube and box?

- LaRon -

#4 ·
Ew....... that duct tape is horrible. If I get the MAF adapter, will that eliminate the need for the tape?

Also....... how much of performance improvement am I looking at here? Will I just be better off buying an intake system or will this function just as well??

#5 ·
Teknokid said:
Those are pretty cheap instructions. Get a 3" MAF adapter. You can get them almost anywhere. If you cant find one, i can get one for you.
hehe that is one ghetto maf adapter yet very sleek..

laron, if you got a GA i got a maf for you.. where you live.. if you live close you can come by and pick it up.. its free

#7 ·
Kid, where you live man? I appretiate the offer majorly. I'm on the MS coast.

#8 ·
LaRon, its very little performance gain but if you get your self the MAF adaptor and preferably K&N or JWT Popcharger. The cone will open up alot more air for your engine to suck and the biggest thing you will notice is that when you step on it, it gives a nice growl, you will love it for the time being and alot more better looking that the box. just some screws around the box is all it takes...15min job...good luck.

#15 ·
I asked hotshot what the K&N equivalent for their filter is and they didn't give me the right part number. The filter they told me to get has a flat plastic plate on the end, not a cone type like that guy put on his maxima. So don't ask them what filter to use because they apparently don't know.

#16 ·
I have an APC Intimidator for the time being, until my custom CAI. To me, all filters are the same, except for their price, design, and maybe color. I will somehow get proven wrong believe me. But my $20 filter SHOULD work the same as a $75 filter. So I went ahead and paid my $20! What I did on the gold plate, is me adn my dad just got some metal cutters, made about 8 cuts equally apart, and then just punched it straight with a hammer. Works like it should. Then clamped it down with the clamp that came with the filter. When I do my exhaust I'll use the extra piping for my CAI. So to me, the APC filter works like a champ!

#18 ·
heres a few things i did.. and i want to know what your guyses opinions are.. because your opinion could help me out a lot... ok...

when i first got the sentra i did this.. i took the stock box off completely.. then i took the AF sensor off completeley( dont do this.. ) and i then turned the air box upside down..with just the filter and the "TOP" half of the box.. which then became the bottom portion and HOLDER of the filter.. then bolted it right back up.. this was pretty cool looking.. like a RAM AIR WRX thing.. but disconnecting the AF sensor fucked up my air/fuel mixture.. NOT GOOD.. so i then learned that the sensor just comes right out of the rubber mounter.. the piece located next to the bat. before the air box.. so i then took the AF S.. and i installed a MAF adapter with a HONEYCOMB style filter like HKS.. only it was ractive.. and stuck that on.. put the sensor next to it.. Later i then made a homemade cold air box for my air intake.. which took a while.. but finally worked.. so now.. i have the sensor sitting next to the air intake with Honeycomb filter.. facing up.. and a wall blocking out the hot engine air..

My question, is what i did.. a good idea.. because i knew that most of you have Cold air.. or more air.. well.. i wanted.. more AND cold air,.........
Or was what i did not a good idea and infact i have too much air goin into the intake plenium.. and now.. its not able to make the proper air/fuel mixture and causeing my car to run a little better.. but not what i think its supposed to be running the way it is..

should i just get rid of this wall i made and go with the HS MAF intake.. or place racing intake.. or is what i did better than having these.. ???

Travis..

#19 ·
the ecu detects more oxyegen molecules and sends the right amount of fuel to mix w/the oxygen. that's why cai, nitrous, turbo's and blowers work w/out blowing things up. yes at some point you will have to midfy fuel parts and intake parts...but not just bc of the set up you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.