Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Ummmmm.... I seeing a bit of a pattern here, folks. Rates go up when you do things you're not supposed to be doing. I'm 49, and was young once too, but "you gotta pay the piper", as the saying goes.

I just bought a '95 200 SX SE for my daughter who's 18 and just did her first year at college. No accidents, no tickets, just basic coverage, second driver added to the car registered under my name (no record, 30 years driving!): $1692/yr Ouch!!! And that's with Progressive, probably the cheapest company around (even cheaper when you buy through AAA)

They didn't ask about her GPA,so I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I pay $1600 CAD for 6 months, but that's because of an accident back in October 2002. I get to keep a 55% surcharge for 4 years before my insurance goes back to the beginner's rate... :(
 

· Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
I had $270 per six months... whatever that is. That was for liability and whatever else state law requires on my 97 Sentra.

As soon as I bought the 2000 Sentra SE, rates went up to $710 per six months for colision and other stuff. I expected it to go up, but not that much. What sucks is I'm a part-time college student with a 3.8 GPA. Why doesn't that count for anything???

BTW, its State Farm Insurance.

We need an insurance agent in here to give us new quotes of cheap insurance. :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I pay about $200/month with safe co. I had an accident that was my fault which my previous insurance company (Unitrin) paid out about 16 grand on (my car 5000 and the other people's truck was totaled). They cancelled my insurance so thats how i got stuck with safeco and their 2400/year liability. Doesnt matter too much because monday (6/20) i may be getting my liscence suspended for 6 months because of a bull **** illegal left turn our of a parking lot on a small college campus....I hate when cops are on power trips.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
b14_200sx said:
I pay about $200/month with safe co. I had an accident that was my fault which my previous insurance company (Unitrin) paid out about 16 grand on (my car 5000 and the other people's truck was totaled). They cancelled my insurance so thats how i got stuck with safeco and their 2400/year liability. Doesnt matter too much because monday (6/20) i may be getting my liscence suspended for 6 months because of a bull **** illegal left turn our of a parking lot on a small college campus....I hate when cops are on power trips.

Sucks dude. My girlfriend is on Unitrin as well. IMO, they couldn't manage a hotdog stand. Took them almost 4 weeks to handle an accident with her '97 Civic. A week alone to tell us that they don't have claims adjusters, but just to have it towed to a body shop. In the end they totaled it three weeks later. More damage than the KBB value (only $4800?). They paid off the KBB value to the bank, but she still owes on the note.

On top of that, we have to go to court on 06/22 for a "Following too close" charge, and a "No proof of insurance" charge.

The proof of insurance will get dismissed because the insruance had just been renewed, but we hand't gotten the new insurance card yet, and the old one was left at home when we called the company the night before to check on coverage.

The following too close is a bit harder. When we got in the accident, we were coming down a steep hill, and hit a car that was stopped at a traffic light at the bottom of the hill. We couldn't slow down fast enough, and the breaks locked up. Rear-ended a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Front of the honda crumpled in, no aribag deploy though. The Eclipse? Few scratches on the bumper, she hit a Ford Focus ahead of her, but other than that, nada on her car. So, I don't know how we could have followed too close when the car we hit was stopped.

At least the lady we hit was cool about it all. Said she's been rear-ended several times before. Twice in that car before our accident. The cop on the scene was cool about it too. Got to chatting with him while we were waiting for the wrecker, and it turned out that we grew up in the same part of Long Island. Nice guy. Didn't even give me a hard time about my CCW Firearm permit.

On the plus side, we checked the insurance listing today, and saw that the our '96 Sentra is cheaper to insure than the Civic. But, they gave us a "multiple car discount" because they hadn't taken the civic off the policy yet. So maybe it'll go up. Doesn't matter though. With the run-around they gave us, we'll change to Metlife because I get a discount from my company with them, or over to Allstate because my apartment is insured through them.

She also had a speeding ticket about 3 years ago. So that'd be her freebe.

Zorak Out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
richm2256 said:
Ummmmm.... I seeing a bit of a pattern here, folks. Rates go up when you do things you're not supposed to be doing. I'm 49, and was young once too, but "you gotta pay the piper", as the saying goes.

I just bought a '95 200 SX SE for my daughter who's 18 and just did her first year at college. No accidents, no tickets, just basic coverage, second driver added to the car registered under my name (no record, 30 years driving!): $1692/yr Ouch!!! And that's with Progressive, probably the cheapest company around (even cheaper when you buy through AAA)

They didn't ask about her GPA,so I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask.
I did call Progressive, and they don't give discounts based on college GPAs
 

· Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
infazorak said:
The following too close is a bit harder. When we got in the accident, we were coming down a steep hill, and hit a car that was stopped at a traffic light at the bottom of the hill. We couldn't slow down fast enough, and the breaks locked up. Rear-ended a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Front of the honda crumpled in, no aribag deploy though. The Eclipse? Few scratches on the bumper, she hit a Ford Focus ahead of her, but other than that, nada on her car. So, I don't know how we could have followed too close when the car we hit was stopped.
Zorak Out.
Not trying to be a jerk, but whether you call it following too close, inattentive driving, or what ever, it's pretty clear it wasn't the fault of the woman who got hit while she was stoped. And the fact that she was pushed into the car in front of her would indicate a certain amount of speed on your GF's part.

There seems to be a certain trend here towards people getting speeding tickets or in accidents that are their fault, who then complain about high insurance rates........
 

· Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Man, you got fucked. I use Farmers and I got the '97 200sx SE-R that i'm looking at appraised and it's not going to go up at all from my POS Tempo. i suggest switching insurance companies.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
richm2256 said:
Not trying to be a jerk, but whether you call it following too close, inattentive driving, or what ever, it's pretty clear it wasn't the fault of the woman who got hit while she was stoped. And the fact that she was pushed into the car in front of her would indicate a certain amount of speed on your GF's part.

There seems to be a certain trend here towards people getting speeding tickets or in accidents that are their fault, who then complain about high insurance rates........
Eh, we're not really complaining about the rate. Since we got the Honda off the policy, the price went down a bit. Even with the accident. And I know, it's not the stopped person's fault. Myself? I blame gravity!

But, as I told her, we would have been better off if we had just taken mass transit to the Atlanta Zoo and had a leasurly day and a whole car. Instead of being productive, running errands, and having a totaled car.

One thing's for sure. We're a lot more careful when driving during rush hour, especially down hills. That and they sure do build those Mitsubishi Eclipse's tough!

Zorak Out
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
Why the fuck is this thread so long? Shop around motherfucker.. you aren't in State Farms target market, therefore you're paying that high ass premium. They keep prices down by having good low risk drivers on their books, so they either charging your ass so much you are forced to move on or just completely drop you. Research teh companies you get quoted with before you buy, some have crappy motherfucking claims.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I guess I'll bring this post back from the dead, just because my rates were recently lowered and I feel like telling someone.

We pay $774/yr for 2 cars/ 2 drivers:

2000 Mitsu Galant (liability, comp, & collision)
1996 200SX SE (liability, comp - no collision) - just bought this car 2 weeks ago...

It doesn't hurt that my wife and I have clean records and are both 33 yrs old.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I think I have you all beat...

I just recently moved to Ohio. I went to get plates and insurance last month and was completely floored when I was quoted

I saw this commercial on tv for a company called General Insurance. 1-800-GENERAL, Now.

1997 200sx se-r, $244/year. Thats right, do the math. 20/month
 

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
peter96 said:
Whoever you try, they will run your drivers license.
Usually, ins cos don't share specific records with each other unless they are settling a claim.

In general, it is at fault claims and tickets that raise your rates.

Ive totalled a 6mo old car, had two windows (break ins) and a windshield replaced (from debris), and three paint repairs for scratches and dents done (parking lots). Had a new wheel, tire and strut assembly replaced along with minor body work and more paint from an unavoidable road hazard.(Damn SUVs)
No insurance penalties because it was not my fault each time.

For tickets, I've been told by my agent that one speeding ticket is a freeby. I currently have none but when I did have one, no rate increase.

Also, there are two versions of State Farm. regular and Mutual. The mutual is much cheaper.

Get a copy of your drivng record from the DMV and shop around. Good luck!
The insurance companies have a database they share with all the claims including home owners called CLUE
So they will know about your tickets from the DMV and Claims history from CLUE
You are sometimes worse off when you try to change because they only pull the DMV records if there is a reason or a random check.
Raise your deductable, reduce your coverage and get a lower group car....Thats all you can do.
Forgot you can move to a cheaper area or cheaper state....not very helpful.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
IanH said:
The insurance companies have a database they share with all the claims including home owners called CLUE
So they will know about your tickets from the DMV and Claims history from CLUE
Yep, very true. The CLUE guys act like a credit reporting agency, keeping your insurance claims history for 7 years. Sucks, but that's the way it is. State Farm pulled my CLUE report when I tried to get a quote from them in '02 (when I was 20), said "Oh, you have one accident, sorry" and refused to write me a policy.

Different companies may have varying policies about what they look at. I know that Progressive only looks at the last 35 months of your DMV record and CLUE history.

I currently pay $85/month for liability from Progressive. I saw a big drop when I turned 21 and two drops last year--one last spring when my first accident hit the 35-month mark, and another at my last renewal when Progressive lowered their rates 2-3% across the board. I turn 25 in November, and my record will be clean at that point, so I'll see another drop right about the time my Sentra will probably hit 200K miles and I'll be in the market for a new car. I may check State Farm's rates again then.
 
21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top