Nissan Forum banner

Instrument Light Replacement

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  91SR20DE 
G
#1 ·
The right instrument panel light on my '91 SE-R is burnt out. I tried to see if I can access it easily, but it looks way to cumbersome. It is a little hard to see the instruments at night, so I would like to replace the bulb.

How do I do it?

Thanks,
TJ

#2 ·
you need to pull the intsturment panel and the bulbs are just twist and lock bulbs. the hardest part is pull off the speedo cable. it is a bit of a pain. you have to lay on the floorboard and reach up behind the panel and squeeze and pull the cable off. when you put it back together just push the cable back on and it clicks into place.

#4 ·
i do this on a regular basis,
you have to take the center console out the one around the radio. Then take out the 6 screws that hold in the bezel around the gauge cluster. Pop the bezel out then disconnect the 4 plugs on the left side of the steering wheel. (cruise, dimmer, mirror, and fog light switch) you may not have all 4 there.
Once all are disconnected then pull the bezel off completely.
Then remove the 4 screws holding the gauge cluster in.
Next is the tricky part you have to reach up and aroud the back of the gauge cluster from under the dash and disconnect the speedo cable. You have to push the button on the side of it in and pull it off.
Next pull the cluster out and romove all 4 plugs from behind the cluster.
Now the cluster should be completely free now you can replace all of the bulbs behind the thing the 3 brown holders are the ones that illuminate the cluster at night
all of the blue ones are for warning lights and indicator lights for the turn signals.
hope this helps!

#6 ·
Or you could just be lazy like I was and throw in a set of "Ebay special" $30 indiglo gauges! I was able to put those on without screwing with that pain in the ass speedo cable. But remember, this quick fix is for the lazy like me......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.