Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I have a question. I want to know if I can swap the instrument cluster in my 95 Nissan Sentra GXE that doesn't have the tachometer option with one that does? I was thinking maybe a cluster from a 200SX (95-99) would possibly work.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

THANX!!!
MRROB0973

·
West Coast *******
1,127 Posts
Absolutley, it is possible. Try searching the forums. I know for a fact that 1997GA16DE has swapped the 200 SX cluster into his B14. Of course, you can go the aftermarket tach route, and I know that PatScottAKA99xe has instructions on his site. Hope I was of some help here.

-Sam

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Hi guys! I have a question. I want to know if I can swap the instrument cluster in my 95 Nissan Sentra GXE that doesn't have the tachometer option with one that does? I was thinking maybe a cluster from a 200SX (95-99) would possibly work.
Yes I've done this swap, you need a 95-99 cluster from a 1.6. You have to do some rewiring, and tap into a tach wire from behind the radio or off the ECU. 1997GA16DE is the guy to talk to, he has a wiring diagram. If he dosen't respond to this post, do a search for his posts, I think he has a link in his sig.

Edit: you should be able to get a cluster from a junkyard for ~$75.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I swapped my cluster over six months ago and there is no way I could have done it without the help of 1997 GA16DE. He really was the only reason that I even attempted to do the swap. I did encounter a few problems while doing the swap and he was a helping hand through all of it. You should really talk to him first. He also has the best wiring diagram that I have seen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh yeah by the way I picked up a cluster from a local junkyard for $50. Mileage doesn't matter because I used my original speedo. Don't let those junkyard guys rip you off. Most of the time they are in good condition because people (except us) don't remove them.

Disclaimer: Not all junkyard guys rip you off, there are some good ones out there.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
You only replace the speedo/odo if you are going form a cluster form a 1.6L engine to a cluster form a 2.0 L engie since the speedo/odo are calibrated together and you can't swap faces. Only the whole unit. But if you atre going form 1.6L no tach to 1.6L tach you can keep your odo.

Seth

·
Registered
179 Posts
My bad, I though that's what I was talking about. I guess I should have specified when swapping a 1.6L cluster with no tach to a 1.6L cluster with a tach. That's the only one I have had experience with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm in the process of doing this as well. Right now I'm waiting for new gauge faces and bulbs to make it complete:cool:

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
sethwas said:
Hey,
This is my 98 that came tachless:

Seth

I went to the junk yards and found a gauge cluster for $25 but I think its from a B13 possibly 94. It wasnt in the car, they had it in storage. It looks like Seths but the redline is 6800 RPM and it shows only up to 8000 RPM. Does someone know if this will fit my 96 GA16DE.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's sounds like the right one. I'll look at mine and see where the numbers are. I'm pretty sure that the redline for my 96 GXE (ga16de) is 6800. With a topspeed NUMBER of 120 (you can see the hash mark for 130). Should have the temp on the right and the fuel on the left.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cluster Bulbs

If you are looking for bulbs DO NOT use colored bulbs! The suck. The never look good. Not even in the beginning. Then they fade and look ghetto-riffic. Use OEM type bulbs or LED.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I knew absolutely nothing about doing a swap until I looked in this forum. The information I got from here helped me a lot. There is no way I would have attempted to do the swap without the information I got here. As long as you get a wiring diagram and check with people that know their stuff you should have no trouble. By no means am I good with any of this stuff and my cluster went in fine over six months ago and hasn't given my any trouble since. Oh yeah it helps to have someone their to help you. Having someone there helps to pass the time and gives you another point of view on things.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Non SER cluster with tach to a SER cluster with tach

I am considering swaping my cluster that I have now (non SER with tach) for an SER cluster. Will I have to do any rewiring or will it be plug and play?

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
hey all. Can't believe I missed this thread.:cool:

anyway, I have a bunch of info in my sig.

to follow up on some of the posts, you should look for one either at a junkyard or even better, http://www.car-part.com. At car-part.com, look under speedometer as the subject (for more results). You definately want to try and find one with similar miles on it to save yourself the hassle of the odometer swap.

SoMissSentra: yes, on the B14 Chssis, the 1.6 tached and the 2.0 cluster have the same wire inputs so just switch the new one in, should take like 5 minutes. Just remember, since you're going from a 130MPH speedo to a 150MPH speedo, the odometer swap is not an option, you definately need to find one with similar miles. You can also do what I did and get one with slightly higher miles and don't do the swap until you have driven enough to where they match up.

also, if you have a 1.6 tachless, you can also do the 2.0 swap using the 1.6 tach wiring diagram I have. Once again, the odometer swap is not an option. (as you can see, sethwas did this type of swap)

with teknokid's situation, I believe that the b13 SE (1.6) and the B14 SE (1.6) have the exact same build as well as the B13 SE-R to the B14 SE-R. the only difference that I know of is the b13 clusters have a clock built into the tachometer face.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey 1997 GA16DE, I don't know if you remember me but you helped me do a cluster swap a while back. I was using this forum under another name that I can't remember. I think it was SouthernSent or something like that.

actually it was mississippisent

·
Registered
179 Posts
I didn't even think about not being able to swap the speedo. I guess I need to start looking for ones with low miles if I really want to do the swap. There is no way I am swapping to one with higher mileage!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts