Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Mah stickers pwn jooz!
419 Posts

definately worth the time and money in my opinion. I want to put one on my dad's Sentra, but he want's to get a SR20DE and have XS engineering turbo it. they'll do a great job, (350 HP, at a reasonable "daily driver" level of boost) but it'll cost a grip of cash. Then again, $3,739.00 isn't a great price for 150+ HP IMO.

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
The Hotshot kit currently comes pre-set to give around 150-160 whp, but NPM's project car is currently pushing 233 whp.

They're still testing and trying to see how far the engine will go and still remain reliable.

The Hotshot Kit has pushed over 200whp on stock internals (before they did the bumpsticks...)... I wonder if they're ever goiong to try pushing the boost all the way on a completely stock engine, though...

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
So I just ordered a HS turbo kit for the GA16 (yea me!!) I should be installing it in a month or two if everything goes as planned. There are still a few things I need to do like get a 240sx MAF and send my ECU to JWT for reprogramming.

It looks like these instructions should help a bunch. I've never installed a turbo kit before but I've done many other installs/repairs. I have a few questions though:

If the HS kit does not have coolant lines but it would be possible to install these lines, is there any benefit to doing this? Would it help increase the life of the turbo etc..?

I've heard people mention using an oil line restrictor on the line sending oil to the turbo, is this something I should do and does anyone know if one comes with the kit?

Also something people might be interested in knowing, HS now has the Disco Potato turbo available, I decided to go with it :thumbup:

Finally, does anyone know if there are there any other parts I'll need to get before installing the kit?

Thanks for the info James!

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
aminidab said:
So I just ordered a HS turbo kit for the GA16 (yea me!!) I should be installing it in a month or two if everything goes as planned. There are still a few things I need to do like get a 240sx MAF and send my ECU to JWT for reprogramming.

It looks like these instructions should help a bunch. I've never installed a turbo kit before but I've done many other installs/repairs. I have a few questions though:

If the HS kit does not have coolant lines but it would be possible to install these lines, is there any benefit to doing this? Would it help increase the life of the turbo etc..?

I've heard people mention using an oil line restrictor on the line sending oil to the turbo, is this something I should do and does anyone know if one comes with the kit?

Also something people might be interested in knowing, HS now has the Disco Potato turbo available, I decided to go with it :thumbup:

Finally, does anyone know if there are there any other parts I'll need to get before installing the kit?

Thanks for the info James!
I have the coolant lines installed, you just need to buy the parts. Not too hard.

Get the oil line restrictor, it will extend the life of your turbo...

Give me your disco potato turbo...:D

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I got the oil line restrictor ordered, 1 less thing to get.

For the MAF, that sounds like a good idea. At this point I don't intend to go over 230 HP, but you never know...
Is there another MAF I can bolt on that will allow for more HP, and that JWT can reprogram the ECU for?

As for the price I paid for the DP option, I'd prefer not to say. I got the kit on sale so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the price I paid. I think it'd be best to ask HS, since it might differ.

Finally, for the coolant lines how important is it to use these? I'd assume that since they don't come with the kit it's not required, and I was planning on installing the kit first, then the coolant lines down the road. However if there's any chance of damaging the turbo I'd install everything together.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Coolant lines

If I paid for a DP turbo I'd sure as shit water cool it from the get go. The coolant lines will only cost you another $50 for the parts and they are no big deal to install. Easier to do it right from the beginning.

I wanna see pics. of the DP turbo and the kit when you get it. Interested in seeing if they had to re-clock the turbo to fit their current manifold and piping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
wes said:

I wanna see pics. of the DP turbo and the kit when you get it. Interested in seeing if they had to re-clock the turbo to fit their current manifold and piping.
I second that. I'm curious to see if they use the same mani as before. I can't believe those guys...as soon as you get the best they come out with something better LOL (*see the butter battle book by Dr. Seuss).

Since you left us with nothing on how much the GT28RS cost I'll give 'em a call and spill the beans ;) ;)

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
the DP turbo is probably the one ill be getting in about a year. it should use the same manifold, or at least i hope it does. that thing can give some serious power though. do you know what the wastegate spring is opened at?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
AznVirus said:
the DP turbo is probably the one ill be getting in about a year. it should use the same manifold, or at least i hope it does. that thing can give some serious power though. do you know what the wastegate spring is opened at?
I'm hoping I've been a good boy this year and Santa gives me one in my curiously large stocking... :D

·
Drifting is for amatures
1,578 Posts
as long as your timing is set, and you are tuned from JWT, it is possible to run at 7... but.. with a turbo, you will want more..

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I called JWT and asked about different MAF options. They said the 370cc injectors max out at about the same HP as the 240sx MAF does, around 260 crank HP. Since I don't want to go buy bigger injectors also and since I don't think I'll max out the MAF/injectors for a while (if ever) I'm going with the 240sx MAF.

James, do you think you could put up instructions on installing the coolant lines, including what parts you needed?

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,326 Posts
badger122 said:
hey, would it just be crazy to not run a fmic in tennessee on 7 psi with a T28?
youde be crazy not to, just because they look so damn good...i just ordered my 23.5x8x3 speaco FMIC...woohoooooooooooo...
unless your gonna go sleeper ( and even if you are, you should still get a bb or pulsar fmic for safety), i couldnt see why you woulnt want a fmic...besides to save a few dollars

61 - 80 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.