Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a tach on my sentra, I checked out the site that explains how to install it on a 200sx, but I cant find the blue wire with the orange strip to connect the green wire to. Is there another wire I can run the green wire to?

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
http://tech.ninety-9.com

Are you doing a 200sx cluster install or an aftermarket tach. I'm not sure if that blue/orange wire is to be used with an aftermarket tach. Anyway, the blue wire is behind the radio. In some models, the blue wire is on the passenger side (as pictured on the site) on other models, it's on the opposite side near the gas petal.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
therookie said:
I'm trying to install a tach on my sentra, I checked out the site that explains how to install it on a 200sx, but I cant find the blue wire with the orange strip to connect the green wire to. Is there another wire I can run the green wire to?

its easily located behind the head unit of the car on a white clip

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
red-power, put it to something that only has power when the key is turned, black-neg, any ground. white-lights you can either hook it upto your headlights or your dimmer, green-there is a green wire coming off the distribator just tap into that

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
red-power, put it to something that only has power when the key is turned, black-neg, any ground. white-lights you can either hook it upto your headlights or your dimmer, green-there is a green wire coming off the distribator just tap into that

Exactly.. that green wire coming off the distributor is the one I used this weekend to install my HUD (tach & speedo) for my B14, Justin's Blue w/Orange works just for Cluster Tachs.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
This is what i did. Make sure your connections are good or else your tach signal will be weak and believe me it sucks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also reccomend using the wire they are talking about at the distributor (coil negative). I tried to use the one coming from the ecu but it did not work on my car. Just be sure to tape up the connection good to try and keep out corrosion.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
jer28 said:
I also reccomend using the wire they are talking about at the distributor (coil negative). I tried to use the one coming from the ecu but it did not work on my car. Just be sure to tape up the connection good to try and keep out corrosion.
yap, i did it like over a year and a half ago and ive had no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i tapped the distributor about 8 months ago now, no problems yet. my light was a bitch lol, ok i installed it in the dimmer, and get this, when i would turn the dimmer up, the lights in the dash would come up, and the light in the tach would go down. reversing the dimmer dial would make a reverse problem, dash lights off, tach light on. i just wired it into the light switch wire and made it come on with the headlights instead of fighting with the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i tried and it sorta workd

I tapped into the green distributor wire and the tach reads the rpms but the reading is wrong...my mechanic siad that im idling at around 750 but the tach says 1400....any reason why..maybe defected tach of the wire im using..?!?!?!

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
SteppinRazor said:
I tapped into the green distributor wire and the tach reads the rpms but the reading is wrong...my mechanic siad that im idling at around 750 but the tach says 1400....any reason why..maybe defected tach of the wire im using..?!?!?!
is yoru tach calibrated for a 4 cyl car? The tach I had in my b14 was calibarted for a v-8, and you cut a wire loop for a v-6 or anther wire loop for a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
33 Posts
xbrandonx said:
is yoru tach calibrated for a 4 cyl car? The tach I had in my b14 was calibarted for a v-8, and you cut a wire loop for a v-6 or anther wire loop for a 4 cyl.
I have a sunpro tach and it is set to the 4 cyl setting as per the instructions. The reading is still off by about 700 rpms though?

·
Registered
43 Posts
:banana: :banana:
SteppinRazor said:
I have a sunpro tach and it is set to the 4 cyl setting as per the instructions. The reading is still off by about 700 rpms though?
maybe u need the tach adapter check in the tach paper enclosed with the tach

look for the sentra and it will tell you if you need an adapter

the adapter runs about 35 bucks and problem fixed

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
SteppinRazor said:

after hearing that, is it reading DOUBBLE? When you drive around does it seem to be doubble the actul reading?

on my air-fuel managment system its doing this right now, it worked just fine forever, but I have no idea whats up with it. I'll keep you informed if I can figure out whats going on with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey I got a 96 Sentra GXE and I am currently in the process of installing an aftermarket tachometer, I got everything hooked up correctly, I just had a problem with the green wire. I hooked it up to the negative side of the coil, the car would idle at 1000 RPM's when I gave it gas the RPM's would drop, so I checked the connections everything was hooked up correctly, so then I assumed the tachometer was defective, so I went back to Autozone and got another one. I haven't tried to hook it up yet because I am waiting to see if anyone could tell me where the green wire goes thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts