Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any ideas where I can hide this???

Dimensions are: L:5-3/4 W:3-3/4 H: 1-3/4

I was going to put it into the spot right under the center console storage area but I would have to do some cutting and grinding. Also thought about installing it in the slot below the radio or where the ashtray is on the radio panel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm planning on snipping the wires on the unit and hardwiring it into the cigarette lighter adapter in the main dash.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not too sure here, but I wouldn't put it too close to the ecu in case of interference. What are you lookin' to plug into it, and how accessible does it have to be?

·
Peek-a-boo....
1,717 Posts
If you mean the spot under the center console where the little cubby is, and the e-brake handle are, id be carefull. the computer for the air bag system is under there. as is the huge line running to the bags. big bright yellow device, cant miss it, trust me :p

if anything, id put some type of antistatic sheilding between the 2, such as cover the computer in the antistatic stuff found with computer parts. theres outher stuff out there to use, but id use whatever was available to me.

also, dont forget, those things get hot quick, depending on the amount of a load you put on them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nova73guy said:
Not too sure here, but I wouldn't put it too close to the ecu in case of interference. What are you lookin' to plug into it, and how accessible does it have to be?
Not looking to plug anything inparticular in at this point. Just thought it would be nice to have it hardwired in somewhere and still leave the cigarette adapter free. Accesibility really isn't vital as long as it can be accessed somewhat easily, not necesarrily while driving though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slayer2003 said:
If you mean the spot under the center console where the little cubby is, and the e-brake handle are, id be carefull. the computer for the air bag system is under there. as is the huge line running to the bags. big bright yellow device, cant miss it, trust me :p

if anything, id put some type of antistatic sheilding between the 2, such as cover the computer in the antistatic stuff found with computer parts. theres outher stuff out there to use, but id use whatever was available to me.

also, dont forget, those things get hot quick, depending on the amount of a load you put on them.
Yep, I had all the plastic consoles off from front ashtray to rear ashtray, and let me tell you the "GUNK" I found. Quite disgusting, but all clean now. I saw the air bag computer and the line running to the bags. I am leaning away from this spot because of the air bag comp and the modifications to the current cubby that would need to be done to fit it in there. I'm looking more toward the console around the front ashtray or possibly the empty space in the front dash since anything I put in there falls out anyway when I'm driving.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
I have the coleman 1200 w inverter (or whatever it is, 1400 maybe) with lines running directly to the battery. I tucked it underneith the driver seat. If you pull the seat all the way forward, and slide it in, the seat will go back over the top of it. I usually don't plug stuff into it, so accessibility isn't that bad. I do have an extension cord in my car though, just in case. I have run a microwave off of mine without having any heating problems, as well as a leaf blower. (The leaf blower pulled 7.5 AMPs at 110 v. Dont ask why I had a leaf blower in my car....)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stevja1 said:
I have the coleman 1200 w inverter (or whatever it is, 1400 maybe) with lines running directly to the battery. I tucked it underneith the driver seat. If you pull the seat all the way forward, and slide it in, the seat will go back over the top of it.
leafblower huh, I'm just going to leave that one alone. Just wondering how you wired it directly to the battery?? Does the on/off switch keep the battery from draining, just curious?? How did you mount it, or is it just placed under the seat without anything holding it down?

·
Slashie
394 Posts
matcapir said:
leafblower huh, I'm just going to leave that one alone. Just wondering how you wired it directly to the battery?? Does the on/off switch keep the battery from draining, just curious?? How did you mount it, or is it just placed under the seat without anything holding it down?
I ran two 4 gauge high strand wires from the battery, through a stock rubber grommet on the driver's side up behind the dash, under the carpet and under the seat. It is not held down by anything, but it doesn't slide around much, if at all. The switch does keep the battery from draining. If the switch is off, it doesn't pull any juice. I imagine if you removed your seat you could bolt the thing to the floor if you wanted. It would be a lot of trouble though for a 200w inverter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stevja1 said:
I ran two 4 gauge high strand wires from the battery, through a stock rubber grommet on the driver's side up behind the dash, under the carpet and under the seat. It is not held down by anything, but it doesn't slide around much, if at all. The switch does keep the battery from draining. If the switch is off, it doesn't pull any juice. I imagine if you removed your seat you could bolt the thing to the floor if you wanted. It would be a lot of trouble though for a 200w inverter.
Cool. Ya, I'm not planning on removing my seat just for the 200w inverter. I might just pull the power by splicing into the cigarette lighter wires and possibly put it under the drivers seat like you did. I'm not really powering anything major, maybe some electronic chargers, etc. Just like the idea of having an A/C power outlet if needed. I always forget my car adapters for things and this would allow me to plug just about anything in (within parameters) Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts