Nissan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,490 Posts
I wrapped the header on my car in 1998. When I removed it to install the turbo in 2000, it had turned black, but was OK. I wrapped it because the under-hood temperatures were very high and I had a Warm Air Intake. The wrap helped bring the temp down.

This was the wrap from JC Whitney, painted with the silver paint reccomended by the wrap manufacturer.

Lew

· Registered
2,490 Posts
1.6pete said:
FYI, i have heard that if you choose to use the wrap, soak it in a bucket of water over night, this keeps the fiberglass from getting on/in your hands and then you can strech in tight as well. (accually i think i saw this on "biker build off")
I handled the Thermo Tec wrap I got with my bare hands without any problems. The instructions that came with it said to moisten it to make it more pliable and specifically said not to soak it. The weave is loose enough that it conformed to the bends in the header quite well without moistening. I overlapped each turn about 1/2 inch and used stainless tie-wraps to hold it in place.

Lew

· Registered
2,490 Posts
wes said:
DO NOT WRAP THAT HEADER.... Tim had it coated with a high temp coating that is good to 2000 degrees. I actually use the SAME coating on my turbo manifold and I am able to grab on to the manifold after about 5 minutes of letting it cool. It is a nice coating.

OOPS, I am assuming the header he sold you has a black coating?
No, The coating was metallic-looking. The header wrap caused it to turn a dull black. I wrapped all the way down to the flex pipe, and it all turned black.

Lew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.