Nissan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my Hotshot header (thanks Timbo!!!) do I need to put some header wrap, or wrap some of the wire harnesses since the heat shield is gone??

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
esco2k2 said:
Just installed my Hotshot header (thanks Timbo!!!) do I need to put some header wrap, or wrap some of the wire harnesses since the heat shield is gone??
Nothing should be close enough to the header to cause any problems with heat... as for header wrap.....

search NPM ;)... Aug 04

I have heard it said that in addition to decreasing the underhood temperature, header wrap also increases the flow rate of exhaust gases. If this is true, could you please describe the mechanism that accomplishes this?
Barron Keith
Golden, CO

The idea behind header wrap is the heat will stay in the header improving the scavenging effect of the cylinders. Hotter exhaust gases flow more easily. The problem is it works so well at trapping the heat in the header, it doesn't allow the heat to dissipate and temps will increase beyond the exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) the engine normally sees. This heating and cooling causes the header to fatigue and will most likely end up damaged, increasing your chances of buying a new one! Nascar and other racing teams used to use heat wrap until they realized any extra performance they may have seen wasn't worth replacing the header after each race. Heat wrap is more meant to protect wiring, fuel and oil lines, fans, etc. from heat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
getting header wrap would be good only if your doing competition and or any type of stuff. but not needed daily driven. plus you dont want to ruined the beautiful shiny chrome finish on a hotshot header do you?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I wrapped the header on my car in 1998. When I removed it to install the turbo in 2000, it had turned black, but was OK. I wrapped it because the under-hood temperatures were very high and I had a Warm Air Intake. The wrap helped bring the temp down.

This was the wrap from JC Whitney, painted with the silver paint reccomended by the wrap manufacturer.

Lew

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it Thanks

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
FYI, i have heard that if you choose to use the wrap, soak it in a bucket of water over night, this keeps the fiberglass from getting on/in your hands and then you can strech in tight as well. (accually i think i saw this on "biker build off")

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
1.6pete said:
FYI, i have heard that if you choose to use the wrap, soak it in a bucket of water over night, this keeps the fiberglass from getting on/in your hands and then you can strech in tight as well. (accually i think i saw this on "biker build off")
I handled the Thermo Tec wrap I got with my bare hands without any problems. The instructions that came with it said to moisten it to make it more pliable and specifically said not to soak it. The weave is loose enough that it conformed to the bends in the header quite well without moistening. I overlapped each turn about 1/2 inch and used stainless tie-wraps to hold it in place.

Lew

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
esco2k2 said:
Got it Thanks
DO NOT WRAP THAT HEADER.... Tim had it coated with a high temp coating that is good to 2000 degrees. I actually use the SAME coating on my turbo manifold and I am able to grab on to the manifold after about 5 minutes of letting it cool. It is a nice coating.

OOPS, I am assuming the header he sold you has a black coating?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
wes said:
DO NOT WRAP THAT HEADER.... Tim had it coated with a high temp coating that is good to 2000 degrees. I actually use the SAME coating on my turbo manifold and I am able to grab on to the manifold after about 5 minutes of letting it cool. It is a nice coating.

OOPS, I am assuming the header he sold you has a black coating?
No, The coating was metallic-looking. The header wrap caused it to turn a dull black. I wrapped all the way down to the flex pipe, and it all turned black.

Lew

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
lshadoff said:
No, The coating was metallic-looking. The header wrap caused it to turn a dull black. I wrapped all the way down to the flex pipe, and it all turned black.

Lew
But what would have happened in the long run? If it wasn't removed when you installed the turbo?.. There have been several instances of HS headers and others cracking that were wrapped. Not calling you old school (I"m old too...lol), but that's sort of old school... back when headers didn't have very good thermal coating or material that wouldn't disapate heat as well...

As Sarah mentions in that quote, even the NASCAR crews don't wrap headers any more.. They would know something about extreme heat on those 500 mile runs.. ;) ....and thats a pair of massive V8 headers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that is the black coated header he sold me... maybe I should have said that in the beginning.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To wrap or not to wrap?

I have an uncoated tri-Y hotshot header on my 97 200sx se (ga16de).
I should say I had, sorry.
It was on for over 3 years and just started to fray so I took it off.
The manifold was slightly discolored but not cracked or blackened by any means.
I did notice more torque (mostly torque gain) and slight hp increase (nominal)
I am planning on re-wrapping it (on order) because I do miss the extra little bit of scavenging help it provided (I run stoic at wot, stock wot is really rich and I've read it doesn't help so much with rich mixtures?).
Anyway, I can use the help from the wrap and If I run into any prob's with the header itself I will order a new one with the coatings (duh, I shoulda done that from the start but at the time the extra $ was not there and credit is no way to live...) I ran the original wrap over two of the header tubes at a time because there is not enough room between certain tubes to wrap each cylinder tube individually.
Modern wraps are slightly better than the older versions. They uniformly conduct heat so not "hot spots" other than the intended temp increase. It never looked "red hot" or molten and yes I checked.

P.S. This was in AZ and yes I ran it in our 118F summer temps in stop/go without any red-hot glowing pipes or burnt wrap or anything. So under these extremes it did fine and so did the header. Maybe NASCAR engines are crazy hot or something but I think they wrapped a Nitro methane dragger to make it fail.

PPS An HS header might be pretty but performance is beautifull!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts