Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone order and install indiglo gauges from www.procarparts.com? i have my gauges and i'm ready to commit the time to install them, but the directions i have were clearly written by someone without a firm grasp on the english language. also, the directions are cut off on the right side and the pictures are washed out and printed in black and white.

i guess i really need help when it comes to doing the wiring. can anyone provide me with steps/more detailed instructions ... hell, maybe even pictures?

thanks in advance...

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
There isn't much of an install. The short version is this:

Remove your cluster from the dash.
Remove your needles for the faces that you will install.
Overlay the new faces down, or remove the old faces and replace with the new ones. Put the needles back as well.
Slide the wires through the holes in the top of the guage cluster.
Hide all the wires in the cavity behind the cluster in the dash.
Take the power wires from the inverter and plug them into a slot for the cluster bulbs. Basically hold the exposed ends down on the contacts and screw in the plastic plug (which holds the 194 bulbs).
Bolt everything back up.

Seth

P.S. Obviously its a tad more involved, but this is the gist. The rest you can figure out on your own. (Such as how to take everything apart in the first place). But if there are problems, just re-post.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't remove the needles if at all possible. I've personally ruined a few temp gauges and a tach. You can use a fork to remove the cap at the center of each needle by placing the fork under the edge and prying up on it. Once the cap is removed you can carefully slide the gauge faces into place. This has worked every time.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hmmm,
Never heard of the fork method, but if it works, thats great.
I've removed the needles on over 4 clusters (thats around 16 needles) and have never had a problem. There is a technique. Just watch where they were originally calibrated for, and you should have no problems.

Seth

·
Registered
500 Posts
Speaking of needle calibration, my gas guage on my 99 B14 never goes all the way to the top when I fill up, and I can have it sit on E for a couple of days with the warning light on and go to fill up and I still have two or so gallons left (13 gallon tank). What's the deal with that? Do they all do that over time?

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Well,
There are two solutions, you can either check to see if the face itself is sagging, and then just slide it ever so slightly. Or, if you have a tached cluster, push the needle clockwise (since it is opposite all the other needles) slightly to correct. If you have a tachless cluster do the same but counterclockwise. Be slow and make very small movements. The gas guage has little travel for a lot of tank level.

Seth

K

·
0 Posts
Take the needles off...trust me!! I had a set of PCP indiglos and tried to slide them over the needles...NO [email protected]#KIN way. I screwed the gauges up so much that I had to buy another set.

1. Turn the needle counter clockwise while gently pulling up. dont pull the needle off directly b/c you might pull out the guts. Just keep turning counter clock wise until they come off!!!!!!!

Oh yeah dont forget to mark where needle rests, that will be the calibration point!!

GooD luck, and take your time

·
Registered
12 Posts
wiring

hey,

yeah, i received the same bad directions from procarparts. i was able to slip the gauges on with little effort and no damage. the speedometer was the only teadious part. as for wiring, my next step, i thought that you had to splice the red wire to a power source and ground the black wire. this is not necessary? i don't want to splice anything if i don't have to. i plan on finishing up this little project today because after that it's just cosmetic work. thanks, all your posts were helpful...

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was going to splice the red wire into the dimmer switch just like deric recommended. where should i ground the black wire?

·
Registered
500 Posts
What's also strange is when I fill it up, it doesn't go all the way up as usual, but if I turn the car off and leave overnight, sometimes it's all the way back up to the top, then drops really fast to 3/4 when I drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts