Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some input from those with indiglo gauges. i'm planning to install a set this weekend but i need a few things cleared up. is there some sort of liquid (?) i need to apply to my needles to make them light up brightly/properly? the directions make note of some sort of coating but don't go into much detail. secondly, where did you install the inverter and switch on the dashboard? lastly, it doesn't say to do this but i assume i should disconnect the negative terminal on my battery before attempting the install, correct?

thanks in advance for your help...

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
Indiglos don't light up your needles. You still need your bulbs for that. No the light from the bulbs doesn't affect the indiglo affect. You can get colored bulbs or colored bulb covers (better choice) to change the needle lighting affect.
The inverter itself just hangs below the cluster, the switch which hangs all the way down to the pedals is zip-tied to some wire clusters begind the steering wheel. Just reach down by your toes to adjust it. It isn't in the way, can be adjusted at a red light or stop sign, but you never really touch the thing anyway, just at the install time to set the color and brightness. Then the regular dash dimmer adjusts it.

Seth

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coating

sethwas, i hear and understand what you're saying. i'm just going off what the directions say and they make reference to some sort of coating for the needles (nothing of the sort was included in the package).

by the way, i'm gonna change out the bulbs when i install the gauges.

hey, as long as i'm careful not to knock the needles, my current calibration shouldn't be affected, right?

as far as the inverter and switch go, they have brackets/holes for mounting. but the way you've done it sounds good. do you have any pics of exactly where you installed your switch and inverter (just for reference)?

thanks for your help!

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery?

since i'm wiring stuff, will i need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery?

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
No the guages don't self calibrate. The motors, maybe, but my understanding of electronics says otherwise unless the chips behind the motors do something. The needles are on the armature of the motor, and if the needle gets shifted on the armature, even if the armature self centers, the needle will be off. But none of that matters, as long as you don't move the needles off of their original setting you'll be fine (meaning you can remove them and replace them, just replace them exactly as you found them.)
Personally I had trouble with the needle rests with my faces. I believe that the best way to install the faces is to remove the needles and then install the face, and then re-attach the needles. That way there is no way of messing up the face or the motors or the needles. I completely replaced the factory face with the indiglo one. I dind't cover the factory one. Just its a little nerve recking removing the needles. Then again I've done it a few times on several different guages and have had no trouble.
Sorry, I have no pictures. Its too cramped to get a camera down there and too dark for anything to come out. The flash would probably be overkill. Then again I could take a digital photo, but it may not be sharp. As soon as I tie up the wires (I haven't done it yet) I'll take a digital shot and see how it comes out.
As for the battery. Well, thats your call. When I remove the guages I don't disconnect the battery. When I play with the wires I do. (All of my guage work is done with the cluster not connected, I work on a table indoors.) Since the car is airbag equipped, I wouldn't do any elecrical work in the car with the battery connected.

Seth

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any one else wanna jump in and give their two cents?

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
i just hid mine behind the gauge cluster cause i figured i didnt want to change the colors or anything. i would also disconnect the battery as well.

and the needles are self-calibrating, but i believe the fuel needle is.

·
Banned
809 Posts
lol.. well..

well.. when i installed mine. the needles like.. kinda reset themselves whenever i moved them.. but i have a 97 SE 200SX>.. so.. i dunno.. maybe im just special

1 - 10 of 10 Posts