Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only performance upgrades i want to do to my car now is to improve acceleration. you can check my post labeled "check this out" in the off topic board to see why. I was thinking hotshot cold air intake, focuz headers, maybe a custom 2 inch exhaust with a cherry bomb with some universal muffler if it wouldn't sound loud, just deep toned and that throttle linkage cable adjustment thing too. I'm tired of feeling like i have to floor it just to get to 60mph in a decent time. I most likely need a tune up too since when i put some new brake shoes on wednesday i checked the air filter and it was kind of dirty and the car sucks gas like a v12 on boost when ever you "get in it any" (use whide open throttle or go over 65mph)

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
To be honest....Unless you have an se-r, Turbo, or SE-Turbo, your not going to have SUPERB acceleration. It's the downfall of our car. It's just the cold hard truth. The engine isn't made to be unbelievably quick 0-60. Even with modifications it's really not going to be the quickest compact out there. Just something I've had to live with for the past 2 years.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not even really looking for performance i just don't want that feeling of having to floor it to accelerate at a decent speed. i tested my throttle cable and it has a lot of movement in it so adjusting it, upping my timing a little and getting a good tune up would probally give me what i want

·
Registered
393 Posts
well, w/ all those mods you'll probably still be slower than a stock SE-R

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check out my post in the off topic board. I no longer want to race my car. i just want to be able to get from a stop sign to a nice driving speed in a good amount of time without having to floor it. going by how much i could move the throttle cable with out moving the lever on the throttle body doing the throttle body adjustment on the b14nissan.org page should solve my problems but i also want to make up for 17 inch rollers and no downsizing my rims is not an option.

G

·
Well here's the deal, first off with 17's you just screwed yourself. Because that just lenthed your gear ratios. Second, you need to make sure that your car has all the basics done. Clean air filter, clean fuel injectors(get some redline fuel system cleaner) good tranny fluid, good tire pressure, ect. Also check out Kijoma's garage. In it, you can learn how to advance your ignition timing, which will make an improvement in throttle resonse and pickup(that's my experience). You can also go with cai, exhaust, header, and an ecu would really help. If your on a budget like me, just buy a cone filter and remove your stock airbox. There are so many things you can do to improve your car for little $, just gotta know what your doin.

·
Registered
393 Posts
just b/c i compare your car to an SE-R doesnt mean im trying to say youre gonna lose to one. its just a good comparison, but most of straightline racing is acceleration, right? so most recommendation to people trying to "race" their car would be made to you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
But thats what i like about having a SE!!!! I beleve a tru tuner takes a slow car (SE) and makes it FAST!!! Not takes a already fast car (se-R) and make it faster!!!!! just my 2 cents hah

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think it's been proven our cars can get superb acceleration. Chef's car ran 12.7 on boost and juice. Hey, it's not naturally aspirated anymore but 12s are 12s no matter how you look at it. I'd say that's good for a GA16.

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
UnderDog said:
I think it's been proven our cars can get superb acceleration. Chef's car ran 12.7 on boost and juice. Hey, it's not naturally aspirated anymore but 12s are 12s no matter how you look at it. I'd say that's good for a GA16.
Not disagreeing with you, but is the average teen/male/driver/whatever going to have the resource or funds to put a turbo and nitrous in his car. NO. If your going to put nitrous and a turbo, why not put it in a car that has higher output from the start. YES I do love me SE, but I know that unless I fork out a hell of a lot of cash, it ain't gonna be the speed demon I want it to be. Is it faster than when I originally purchased it, YES. But I still know my limitations.

If anyone has the money to put into it. Go for it. Just not everyone does.

By the way, off the subject(maybe). There's an SE-R for sale on ebay cheap. :D 1998

·
Banned
809 Posts
2 things to say, and 1 to ask..

--- I do 0-60 in 10 seconds, on my bad days.
--- the SE-R is a bad ass car, and so is the SE, i like them both... (By the way, i whooped to SE-R' 200'sx's the other day.. i think they were auto though..
--- Are you an auto? if your an automatic, then that is your problem..

·
Registered
323 Posts
i think i remember you saying that you were an automatic, that is a pain in the ass, and if the tranny starts messing up you will feel a decrease in accelleration. gear switching at 3400 and gear switching at 6400 is a lot different considering the power band doesn't even beging to kick in until like 4500 i think. just something to consider

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, I hear the whole cop-out and swap to an SR20 excuse all the time if you want to go turbo. I guess my thing is I'd like to be the only 12 second GA16 on my block. I want more originality and innovation, not something that's been done up and done over again, like the SR20DET swap. Of course, a GA16 will never be as powerful as an SR20 but that's like saying no matter how fast I go I'll still never beat a ZO6 Corvette or a 9-second BPU Supra. Big God damn deal. You can't compare apples to oranges like that. I'd take more pride in knowing I spent so much time making my GA16 very powerful than just paying someone to do a DET swap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have a girlfriend so let's hope she doesn't see this, but let's face it, the girls are gonna jock you more over show then go, I've never had a girl be able to dyno my car telepathically but she can hear it and I'm sure with a drift kit on there she can see it :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
So I should sell my car and find me a nice TT 300ZX. I'm sure the chicks would like that better than my Sentra. I don't wanna part with my baby though. I got some time to think about it still.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i wanna make this my project car while i go to school and learn how to do this stuff. ill probably keep it n/a, since turbo is just too expensive. after i get out and start working for BMW (hopefully) i plan on getting a cooper S... 2500 lbs, 200 hp (supercharged) and handling like a gokart should be fun. that'll be my blown baby

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
can we stay on topic please? now i'm kind of weighing manual swap and homemade turbo kit/sr20de swap against air ride suspension. wish i knew how much this custom car stuff cost when i was younger. I would have started working at that potato grader on summers back when i was 13, have a bout 4 grand saved up for what ever i wanted to do then i would at least have stereo/rims/bodykit done and have a hot ass looking ride before i could even drive it then i would only have to worry about performance now. oh yeah the guy who said girls go for show more than go but what if someone smokes you in some old ugly ass 80 model camaro? me i would just turn up the system and drown out his pussy ass 6k rpm redline but what would you do. underdog come on you would sell or better yet trade your sentra in for a 300zxtt? Some one needs to smack you upside the head with a porkchop. I would trade the sentra in for a 300zx quicker than you can say nismo nevermind the twin turbo version. well first i would see how well it runs but you get my point.

·
Registered
323 Posts
superfro86 said:
can we stay on topic please? now i'm kind of weighing manual swap and homemade turbo kit/sr20de swap against air ride suspension. wish i knew how much this custom car stuff cost when i was younger. I would have started working at that potato grader on summers back when i was 13, have a bout 4 grand saved up for what ever i wanted to do then i would at least have stereo/rims/bodykit done and have a hot ass looking ride before i could even drive it then i would only have to worry about performance now. oh yeah the guy who said girls go for show more than go but what if someone smokes you in some old ugly ass 80 model camaro? me i would just turn up the system and drown out his pussy ass 6k rpm redline but what would you do. underdog come on you would sell or better yet trade your sentra in for a 300zxtt? Some one needs to smack you upside the head with a porkchop. I would trade the sentra in for a 300zx quicker than you can say nismo nevermind the twin turbo version. well first i would see how well it runs but you get my point.
well i used to have the 89 camaro and the 305 on that in horrible condition is what 170 HP so you would need some go from below 100 HP to the wheel on a sentra or 200 to 170 or up there around 300 on one in good condition, i'd say stay with show

1 - 20 of 59 Posts