Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how easy to swap?

i was looking in the past threads on this subject but i guess i was too lazy to read the print on everyone's comments.

i'm in the process of buying my friend's 240SX '98. i think it's the top of the line model, and i know it's a manual.

i was wondering that if i wanted the S15 SR20DET and the S15's 6-speed tranny, is this an easy or complicated swap? i know its dumb to call any swap easy but what i mean is does the engine and tranny fit relatively well with the current setup?

one more thing, the engine, tranny, other parts and labor, how much do you think i'd be spending?

will i need custom exhaust and headers?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your problems are solved...

First off... GREAT CAR... Don't think... don't blink = RUN AND BUY IT!

Secondly, I suggest you look at an S13 or S14 SR20DET - not an S15! It all depends on the degree of you doing mods. The S13 is the by far the best SR20DET ever built! It's cheap, tough, and million of parts are available for it... unlike the S14 and even rarer - the S15 engine.

If you aren't going to change the turbo on the engine, then go with an S14 SR20DET. The reason being, is because the S14 has VVT (variable valve timing). When you change the turbo, chances are you will lose such a wonderful technology with the valves. Thus, you will be simply paying more for a newer engine (oooh ahhhhhh) and yet get the same/or lesser results! In the end, it is your choice.

Also, the S15 will run you up some big DOLLA DOLLA my friend! The 6 speed tranny is nice I guess, if you are driving long distances or if your in a Ferrari. But who the hell wants to downshift twice as much when your driving on a normal day/cruising?!? Remember that gears aren't as long and thus, if your making a right hand turn for example, you will have to down shift from fourth to third and then into second = PAIN IN THE ASS! Also, no one wants a 6 speed for a track... it's ANNOYING! Like I said before, it's your choice!

In terms of swap meets difficulty level. All swaps require lots of time and patience. It would be the usual as if you were to swap any other SR20DET into the car! =) So, no worries there!

I am in Toronto, CANADA... and for an S15 SR20DET with a good 40K you will be looking at a good $7,000 where as the S13 here you can find for $2,500!!! =)

Well, all the best and enjoy the hunt!

SINcerely,
KaOz.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, remember that the S15 SR20DET transmission stuffs 6 gears into the same space as 5 gears on the S14 SR20DET tranny. Racers who drive the S15 often swap out the S15 tranny for the S14 tranny.

Heres how you make your decision:
Want to upgrade it and turn it into a monster? S13 SR20DET.
Want to make it very reliable and just have a fast car? S14 SR20DET.

S15 SR20DET's are not worth it, IMHO, and because we never got S15's in the states, that engine shouldn't be swapped into anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
WoW, a TOTAL SHUN from *Buud* towards the S15 cuz we never got it... hey man, don't hate... don't hate. Haha!!! I understand - rebellion all the way! =)

Like I mentioned before, who the hell wants a 6-speed... what?... we in a bicycle or something... who needs 6 gears? Next thing you know in like 10 years, we will have the tranny off a Mack Truck! Hahaha!!!

Lata,
KaOz.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea get a blacktop sr20det it ll be worth it and a s15 sr is way expensive too and I drove a a v spec I swear U would never use the 6th spd only on the hwy and rear you will need to go that fast too

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can the s15 trans be swapped onto an s13sr20det engine?

fyi: a six speed trans is extremely desirable for basically any type of racing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes, but the S15 has potentially weaker gears. There are 6 gears in the same space as 5 gears on the S14 SR20DET. I believe you also a custom tranny mount, and an entire rear end because the S15's speed sensor is in the rear differential.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how often and at what power output do s15 transmissions blow up? it seems odd to me that nissan would put out an unreliable trans.

·
Registered
70 Posts
it's not that they put out an unreliable trans, it was probably something they didn't forsee. It's not unreliable, I think I remember 350HP being mentioned somewhere, but that's not reliable, so don't quote me. Anyway, there are a lot of drifters with S15's that swap out to S14 trannies.... obviously, they have a reason.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess drifting would be a little easier with longer gears. but drifting is not exactly racing, at least it isn't on asphalt.

how much do you think it would end up costing (trans/rear end & hardware)? do you know where i might find the gear ratios for both s14 and s15 transmissions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts