Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let's beat this dead horse...
Which wire is which on the ignition switch? 87 sentra b12 e16s.
Thanks yall.
BLUE-------------------->
BLACK/WHITE----->
BLACK/GREEN---->
BLACK/YELLOW-->
WHITE/RED--------->

Registered
Those colors don't match the WD, you need to post a pic of the harness connector from the car along with the switch connector to figure out what goes where. The WD says you should have these colors on the car harness (partial, I don't have a complete power distribution diagram):

BLK/RED: Battery from green fusible link
BLK/YEL: Starter Solenoid
BLK/WHT: Power in On/Start (Not in Acc)
WHT/BLU: Power in Acc/On (Not in Start)

There's usually one other wire that's hot in On/Start but the WD doesn't show it, that will likely be your remaining wire.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty then. I will check when I get home, I'm really only 100% about the blue one I can't remember off the top of my head what the others are.

Registered
That doesn't help, you need a pic of the harness connectors where the car mates to the switch. It should be further down the steering column. The car side of that connector is what the colors in the WD will refer to, not the colors on the switch stub harness.

Registered
PS - The reason you have different colors on the aftermarket switch is likely that the switch is used in various applications with various other colors, so the wire colors will be arbitrary and not specific to your '87 Sentra.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh!!!!!! Okay i got ya. So I guess it would also help for me to explain what I'm doing. I am attempting to install a distributor with vacuum advance in place of my old busted crank angle sensor for my Weber 32/36 setup.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have an Excel super box that I am installing, and here is a pic of that as well. So I'm trying to find what the original positive coil wire and original negative coil wire would be. In the second picture of the original harness there is a green, black, blue, and black with a white stripe.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To my knowledge, the blue wire was negative and the positive was black with white stripe. Which leaves the question what was the green for?
Also, as far as I knew, the switch was not aftermarket because the key opens the doors AND hatch as well. But I could be wrong about that. Maybe someone actually thought the whole kit instead of just the tumbler for the ignition.

Registered
Well, those harness colors do jive with the WD, so the descriptions should be as I posted earlier, just match the colors across the connector to the switch. Let me see if I can find a callout for the dizzy connector.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far, i have this. So in the drawing depicted, is the white wire and the small red wire hooking up directly to the distributor?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or am I attempting to wire it to this coming from the ignition end? I'm sorry for being a pest, I really just want my car to work.

Registered
Aargh, this may take a little while. Identifix is down at the moment, and nothing else I can access goes back past '93. I'll let you know what I find when their servers are back up.

Registered
Yep, perfect, I can translate that for you. G/B is the firing signal from the ECU (12V digital), B/R is feedback to the ECU for tach, misfire monitor etc, B/W is 12V ign power to the coil (both primary and secondary), B is ground for both the dizzy and power transistor. Does that help you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So for the shit the Accel box is asking for, original coil (-) is the black wire, to white (-)
and OG coil (+) is b/w wire, to red (+)?
Despite what the Excel manual says, just hook up the positive and negative to the coil from the distributor where it used to go?

Registered
The coil-minus signal would be on the feedback line from the power transistor. You might need to leave the original coil in the car and t-tap the feedback line. If you do, run a wire from the spark output terminal to ground so the unit won't heat up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts