Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad camshaft sensor in my old distributor on my 99 nissan frontier so I replaced it with a new one. With the old distributor I was able to get it to the right specks at 15 BTDC but with the new one I can't get it any more advanced than 18-20 degrees. This is causing poor gas millage and performance. I know for a past im not off by a tooth because I've pulled it out and put it back in several times. Is it possible I have another issue causing this or do I need to just get different distributor. I could also just drill out the extra room I need on the mounting bracket but that seems like a crude solution.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,600 Posts
The ignition advance calls for 10 degrees BTDC according to the FSM and you're looking to set it at more then 18-20 advance. That's way beyond the spec setting. You've got something messed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the hood it says ignition timing should be set to 15 BTDC. Any idea whats wrong? Just doesn't fit cause it's aftermarket?

·
7,600 Posts
On the hood it says ignition timing should be set to 15 BTDC. Any idea whats wrong? Just doesn't fit cause it's aftermarket?
OK, so it says 15 BTDC; that's fine. However in your posting you said "With the old distributor I was able to get it to the right specks at 15 BTDC but with the new one I can't get it any more advanced than 18-20 degrees." My question is why do you want to set the advance to more then 18-20 degrees, when the spec calls for only 15 degrees? Trying to set it to a very high advance will lead to pre-ignition and possible engine damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I understand it 15 degrees BTDC = -15 degrees. So advancing it means adding to the negative. If I advance it from 18 degrees BDTC or -18 to 15 degrees BTDC or -15 im adding to the bas number and therefore advancing it. I might have that wrong hut I've watched videos with contradictory statements. Always I want to move it from 18 btdc to 15 btdc.

·
7,600 Posts
You're making a very simple setting much more complicating. The crankshaft turns in a clockwise direction. You're looking down at the crank pulley timing marks; going from "0" in a clockwise direction, the next mark would be "5" then "10", "15", "20" and so forth. For example when using a timing light while the engine is idling, if the timing shows to be "15" at the block pointer, then the spark plug is firing 15 degrees before the piston reaches top dead center. If you want to advance the timing to "20", simply turn the distributor until the timing light shows the block pointer at the "20" mark on the pulley. How much more simple would that be! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You kisunderstood my problem. I can't trust the distributor any further to the furthered I can move it it 18 btdf. If I move it a tooth over the closest I can get to 15 btdc is about 5 after top dead center.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts