Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Nissan Guru
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What jump in horse power can you expect from upgrades for your ignition system. i put in Bosch Platinum +4s and saw a slight difference but would different wires, or something help.

I saw some kind of coil booster or something at auto zone by accell or somebody. i have now idea where it goes but it boosts the spark, so will i have to change the altinator.
 

·
Cone Dodger
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
if you're talking about the "transformer" installed inline with the spark plug boot, i don't know, and if it's the one like msd or jacobs with the separate igniter module, depends on the air/fuel mixture you're about to burn, so far i've seen dyno results, but on force induced engines, and platinum 4's, intriguing, does anybody else use these plugs, i need info, i might switch over too, but i've heard bad things about them though................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
The stock ignition coil should work just fine on an N/A engine. It doesn't hurt to upgrade it but don't expect miracles out of it if you're just N/A. You should really only need aftermarket ignitions on FI or bottled engines as the more air and fuel you cram into the engine the less efficient the stock ignition system is going to be. The plugs won't fire as strongly and won't burn as much of the mixture and cause power to not be at its potential. On FI and squeezed cars, a strong, healthy spark from a good ignition system and good plugs and wires will burn the fuel mixture more completely and help get the most power out of the engine and make more efficient use of the FI system you have.
 

·
Nissan Fanatic since 1999
Joined
·
308 Posts
For our cars its kinda hard to find some spark plug wires for the GA16DE. Does anyone know where I can get some from? Good aftermarket ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
bickmade said:
For our cars its kinda hard to find some spark plug wires for the GA16DE. Does anyone know where I can get some from? Good aftermarket ones.
Magnecor,NGK,Vitek and Nology all make wires for the GA16DE. However the stock Nissan wires seem to work the best. The others are mainly for looks. I have Magnecor kv-85 8.5mm wires on my car and they perform just as well as the Nissan wires, i've had them for 3 years so far with no problems... :)
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
SilverSentra99 said:
What jump in horse power can you expect from upgrades for your ignition system. i put in Bosch Platinum +4s and saw a slight difference but would different wires, or something help.

I saw some kind of coil booster or something at auto zone by accell or somebody. i have now idea where it goes but it boosts the spark, so will i have to change the altinator.
Unless you are going for big boost or NOS, its best to stick with your stock ignition and plug wires. Those bosch plugs are actulay costing you power.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
yeah. platinum is only good for not having to buy them as often, they last longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
I would stick with the stock coil, Nissan ignitions are high power and after using 2 coils myself, Profire Nology, MSD, The stock coil was still the best+ yu have to cut wires. Do not get the Nologys, waste of money, they blew my stock coil out! I have Magnecores and they make the idle smooth, Measure the resistance in the wire, the lower the better. the magnecore wire had a low resistance. The best plug I found was the BERU silverstone with the low resistance. The worst was Bosch. NGK was 2nd. Remember silver is the least resistance and copper comes in close to that. Stick with Stock NGK. Measure the output of the wires and plugs and you be the judge.
Chris 92 classic
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
sunnysentra said:
I would stick with the stock coil, Nissan ignitions are high power and after using 2 coils myself, Profire Nology, MSD, The stock coil was still the best+ yu have to cut wires. Do not get the Nologys, waste of money, they blew my stock coil out! I have Magnecores and they make the idle smooth, Measure the resistance in the wire, the lower the better. the magnecore wire had a low resistance. The best plug I found was the BERU silverstone with the low resistance. The worst was Bosch. NGK was 2nd. Remember silver is the least resistance and copper comes in close to that. Stick with Stock NGK. Measure the output of the wires and plugs and you be the judge.
Chris 92 classic
Non-resistor plugs Berus emit EMI and can cause problems with some cars by interfering with their ECU's. In fact they have messed up every turbo car I have tried them on. They wont work on a twin turbo Z for instance.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
About the bosch spark plugs. In Mexico, Bosch sells in the last year two different spark plugs. One form Germany an the other from Brazil. The Brazil sparks plugs are crap. So check the country origin. In my mexican Sentra, run Champion Double Platinum and Bosch Platinum and the winner is Champion. Smooth and better acceleration. I wait for the Bosch 4+ Platinum to check and may be the Nippon Denso Paltinum plugs
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
mmcg80 said:
About the bosch spark plugs. In Mexico, Bosch sells in the last year two different spark plugs. One form Germany an the other from Brazil. The Brazil sparks plugs are crap. So check the country origin. In my mexican Sentra, run Champion Double Platinum and Bosch Platinum and the winner is Champion. Smooth and better acceleration. I wait for the Bosch 4+ Platinum to check and may be the Nippon Denso Paltinum plugs
Bosch plus 4 are crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Morepower2, thanks for the advice. Well , is better still continue with my champion spark plugs. And only check the Nippon denso spark plugs
 

·
Nissan Guru
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to autozone .com and came up with 3 types of denso plugs

1) Denso Iridium $12.99
2) Denso Standard $1.59
3) Denso Platinum No price

Whats up with Iridium? and where do i get NGK it didnt come up. is it a special namebrand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
SilverSentra99 said:
I went to autozone .com and came up with 3 types of denso plugs

1) Denso Iridium $12.99
2) Denso Standard $1.59
3) Denso Platinum No price

Whats up with Iridium? and where do i get NGK it didnt come up. is it a special namebrand?
For some reason autozone does not carry NGK, just bosch or denso but Advance Auto Parts has NGK plugs. Denso iridium plugs do nothing but lighten your wallet imo. Stick with NGK, call around most good auto parts stores will sell them. As a last resort you can buy ngk plugs from the nissan dealer...
 

·
Boost anyone?
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Most autozones dont carry NGK, although my brother (store manager) is now carrying plugs and wires. He says there is a lot of people into performance and such around Vista, California so he is going to start ordering them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Stock NGK work best, nissan uses them in their stock cars and they run great, if you really want power, don't fool with this stuff, go for the power adders and pull the motor apart and make it breath!
Chris 92 classic

The stock coil and plugs can be used with NOS and Mild 8 PSI turbo, just close the gap on the plugs! That is all you have to do. If you detonate close them a little more. Look at the Sentra.net and ask Mike K.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top