Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD
I’ve started having some problems starting the car. When I turn the key, I hear a click but nothing happens. After trying several times of usually taking the key out and in, it will eventually start. Sometimes it will start right away. Once the car is started, it runs fine with no issues. This is started happening in the last few weeks just all of a sudden. I tried to jiggle the key while it was in the ignition to see if it would start but I cannot prove that it made a difference.

I did notice today when it would not start, I had put the key in and turned it all the way over and it did nothing. However, after me holding it in place for about 1-2 seconds the car just started to crank.

Just so I’m giving all of the information, I checked the battery terminals and they look clean. I also noticed that when I first checked the battery it had slid to the side because the bracket that holds it down had come loose.

If a starter is going bad, does it start out as an intermittent problem? How do I know if the starter is bad? How difficult is it to replace the starter on this car?

Any other ideas as to what I should check?

Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I am far from being as helpful as some of the other people on this forum, my to cents...

I when my started went out about 2 months ago, it worked every now and then. So yes, it can be the starter. It isn't "hard" to replace, just need little hands at times. If I remember correctly it is held on by just 2 bolts, and has a wiring harness. Once you get it out, you can take it to Autozone or such and have them test it.

I am not sure if the selenoid is easy to get to, never had to replace that. But if it is easier to get to, you might test it first.

Hopefully someone else can help out more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 92 with the same issue, I actually sprayed some wd 40 into where you put the key and it went away. This goes with corrison type of thing, but probably more dirt and everything. It may also be something else too, I'm just throwing this in as an easy solution.

It can be the starter, or wiring and other things also though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I appreciate the feedback. I'll try those last to points that you guys mentioned. One more thing though. I've noticed that when this does happen that if I turn off my AC, then the car will start. This might be a coincedence but It seems to work every time. Weird...

·
Registered
104 Posts
if it always starts with the a/c off, then I would scheck around the battery and the battery itself. It sounds like the starter isn't getting enough power.
Check the battery terminals, the wires, and as I said the battery, it might be getting time for a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts