Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Maxima got broken into and they destroyed the Ignition lock, so it seems I have to replace the entire ignition lock assembly. Can I get a used one from a salvage??? Will it work?? will it interfere with the anti theft?? Do I have to do any re-programing since it will be different keys from the doors????
Thanks in advance for your help

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
If I recall correctly the only 4th gens with immobilizer were 99s, possibly some 98s. Changing the locks should be just fine. I could be wrong so if someone else can chime in that'd be great.

If you do go the junkyard route maybe you can get the locks from the doors/trunk at the same time? Don't know how much you're looking at as far as pricing though.

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
You do know that your original key WON'T work in a junkyard piece cause they are keyed differently. IF you do get the junkyard piece, be sure to get the key that came with the car. And NO, it won't need reprogramming cause you don't have a chipped key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok nice! so the key is no problem since it not chipped, got it...what about the anti-theft? is that affected because of the different ignition lock? remotes broke so I haven't been using them to activate the anti theft, instead I always lock the door with the key and I know that's how the anti-theft gets activated...Will I still be able to do that???And if I do decide to get new remotes, would I be able to program them with no problem?????

Thnx so much for your responses

·
Nissan Technician
826 Posts
^^^Anti-theft WON'T be affected by a mechanical ignition lock cylinder and YES!, you can program the key fobs with no problem either!

·
Registered
31 Posts
First, Good luck removing/installing that new cylinder as it is factory rivited in there in such a way to intentionally make it near impossible to remove.

Second, I read the bit about the key confusion and I wanted to offer that I have the ignition still in the car to my crashed 96 I will pull for you that even has a key if your interested, just PM me so I can give you my email.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts