Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got mine off yesterday, but I have a few questions. Was the quality of the mold really bad? I see lots of little stress cracks in it. They don't go all the way through, but it looks kinda bad. I also see them on the cover of the oil pump gear. Again, none of them go all the way through. I put the cover against a flat piece of wood, and it appears to be straight, but hard to tell. I had a MASSIVE oil leak from the front cover. The two oil pump o-rings looked pretty crushed, so I am thinking the link was there.

BTW, what kind of idiot designed the front cover. There are more gaskets, seals, (Places for catastrophic failure), than ANY engine I have ever seen. Not to rant about my little b14, but man, that oil pump in the front cover / water pump pumping through the front cover is just plain stupid. :thumbdwn:

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
I got mine off yesterday, but I have a few questions. Was the quality of the mold really bad? I see lots of little stress cracks in it. They don't go all the way through, but it looks kinda bad. I also see them on the cover of the oil pump gear. Again, none of them go all the way through. I put the cover against a flat piece of wood, and it appears to be straight, but hard to tell. I had a MASSIVE oil leak from the front cover. The two oil pump o-rings looked pretty crushed, so I am thinking the link was there.

BTW, what kind of idiot designed the front cover. There are more gaskets, seals, (Places for catastrophic failure), than ANY engine I have ever seen. Not to rant about my little b14, but man, that oil pump in the front cover / water pump pumping through the front cover is just plain stupid. :thumbdwn:
i had the same problem you did with the oil leak my oil seals blew out.. dont worry about the cracks its just the molding...get some silicon from nissan dealership its the best i found.. apply a good amount all the way around tighten it and let it sit for 24hrs or you will have the same massive oil leak..do replace those oil seals i didnt when i did my timing chain job..and what was i doing weeks latter the same thing over again..verry frustrating..just hang in there

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skoodles said:
i had the same problem you did with the oil leak my oil seals blew out.. dont worry about the cracks its just the molding...get some silicon from nissan dealership its the best i found.. apply a good amount all the way around tighten it and let it sit for 24hrs or you will have the same massive oil leak..do replace those oil seals i didnt when i did my timing chain job..and what was i doing weeks latter the same thing over again..verry frustrating..just hang in there
Question: What about using a real gasket? Fel Pro makes some for a lot of the areas where silicone is used. How did you "scoop" the old silicone out of the grooves? I used a razor to get it clean, but the grooves are full of the old silicone. I want to be careful and not scratch up the surface, so I'm hesitant about using something like steel wool.

Thanks for the reply!
:cheers:

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
Question: What about using a real gasket? Fel Pro makes some for a lot of the areas where silicone is used. How did you "scoop" the old silicone out of the grooves? I used a razor to get it clean, but the grooves are full of the old silicone. I want to be careful and not scratch up the surface, so I'm hesitant about using something like steel wool.

Thanks for the reply!
:cheers:
well i didnt kno there was a gasket kit for it cause it only said to use silicon..and for the grooves i just took a small flat head screwdriver thats jsut wide enough for the groove.. dont worrk about scratching the surface they dont scratch that easy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts