Nissan Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you made any headway on your truck? I'm having the exact same issues with mine. I have the procedures to adjust your tps, which is also the idle switch combined in one. The idle switch is your culprit. Disconnect your harness from the switch and put a jumper wire between the two bottom connectors on the harness side. Set your idle at ~1,100 rpm. Then using a voltmeter connected to the bottom two prongs on the idle switch, move the the switch until you find the on-off point (showing 5 volts on and off). Tighten up the screws and plug in your harness and you are done. I can send you a scan of the 1986 nissan electro injection supplement manual if need be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have made a little progress. I did find a rather nice vacuum leak on my bp valve hose. As far as the tps I can't seem to get it adjusted correctly. What exactly were the symptoms your truck was giving. That would be great if you could send me the supplement manual. also thanks for your reply

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you made any headway on your truck? I'm having the exact same issues with mine. I have the procedures to adjust your tps, which is also the idle switch combined in one. The idle switch is your culprit. Disconnect your harness from the switch and put a jumper wire between the two bottom connectors on the harness side. Set your idle at ~1,100 rpm. Then using a voltmeter connected to the bottom two prongs on the idle switch, move the the switch until you find the on-off point (showing 5 volts on and off). Tighten up the screws and plug in your harness and you are done. I can send you a scan of the 1986 nissan electro injection supplement manual if need be.
Ok....according to this you check the bottom two prongs on the idle switch, moving the switch until you find the on-off point......then tighten up the screws and plug in your harness......my question is: how do you have five volts at the switch with the harness removed? Do you tighten the switch down at the point where the volt meter moves to 5v or at zero just before it moves to 5v?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check this out. Picasa Web Albums - Curtis - 1986 Electro ...
The book doesn't mention it, but If i remember right I had to jumper the wires between the harness and the idle switch. I set the switch to the point where it was at 0, then moved to 5v as throttle is opend. The top prong is not used on this truck. It was used in other applications with an automatic transmission. It sent a signal at wide open throttle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check this out. Picasa Web Albums - Curtis - 1986 Electro ...
The book doesn't mention it, but If i remember right I had to jumper the wires between the harness and the idle switch. I set the switch to the point where it was at 0, then moved to 5v as throttle is opend. The top prong is not used on this truck. It was used in other applications with an automatic transmission. It sent a signal at wide open throttle.
Thanks...I figured I would have to rig some kind of jumper because there is no way you have power at the switch with the harness disconnected....just checking to see if you found some other way to do it.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the laps in time. I checked everything as instructed and I only got voltage on the tps plug side no voltage from the tps. Also i tried two different tps's and the truck drives with the tps unplugged am I missing something

·
Hardbody Freak
2,683 Posts
i do not think this is a coil ... however ..

check coil and ballast for cracks .
check the plugs and wires for corroision and cracks..

this engine has one coil so if it was not working the truck would not start. imo...

kinda sound like you might have crap in the gas tank..

·
Registered
706 Posts
put a timing light on the exhaust coil @ idle watch for any misses in the light image. Racing engine and exhaust should switch off, accelerate engine slowly the coil should fire then release throttle and the coil shut cutoff during decel. If it's missing during idle it's missing at part throttle acceeration!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.