Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 02 Nissan Frontier 2.4L automatic. The truck starts fine around 1100 rpm, needle steady, About a minute or so as the idle drops to 750-800 rpm, starts to surge and then engine dies. I can start over and over, from cold to hot engine and doing the same thing. Here are the codes that I scanned, P0400, P0102, P0132, P0505. I replaced the EGR valve and solenoid, MAF sensor, IAC valve, exhaust manifold oxygen sensor. Spark plugs are year old and cleaned, replaced plug wires ( year old wire broke and brittle). rotor and cap year old. I have not replaced the 2nd oxygen sensor (downstream) frozen, will not come out. Any idea or suggestion?

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,740 Posts
Since you replaced several components, clear out the DTCs and see if any DTCs get set again after running the truck. What ever DTCs get set again, you'll have to fix those.

The common causes for rough idle are:
  • Dirty spark plugs.
  • Intake system vacuum leak.
  • Dirty fuel injectors.
  • Bad EGR valve.
  • Weak ignition coil or the power transistor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the spark plugs and are clean, less than year old. Fuel injector been replaced along with fuel regulator. EGR valve and solenoid are new. Old truck have no ignition coil/power pack. I'll check and reset all codes and check for vacuum leak. What perplex me is, why it start and have steady rpm for a minute and will slowly drop to 750 rpm and then surges and dies. Fuel filter been replaced. Fuel tank is almost full. Thanks a lot for the information/suggestions e

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
l started the truck today, still doing the same thing. No check engine light, I scanned and came out with code P0132, Oxygen sensor high voltage circuit sensor 1 bank 1. I've just replaced the upstream sensor ( I'm assuming this is sensor 1) and still showing same code. I guess I need to replace the 2nd (downstream) sensor. It reads 3.9 ohms, so I thought its good.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,740 Posts
I removed the spark plugs and are clean, less than year old. Fuel injector been replaced along with fuel regulator. EGR valve and solenoid are new. Old truck have no ignition coil/power pack. I'll check and reset all codes and check for vacuum leak. What perplex me is, why it start and have steady rpm for a minute and will slowly drop to 750 rpm and then surges and dies. Fuel filter been replaced. Fuel tank is almost full. Thanks a lot for the information/suggestions e
There may be a major intake system vacuum leak. To check the intake system for a vacuum leak, attach a vacuum gauge to a full vacuum source. With the engine fully warmed up, the reading at idle should be 18 - 20 InHg. At 3,000 RPM, it should be around 21 InHg. If readings are under 18 InHg, check the intake manifold nuts to make sure they are tight. The gasket may have failed; spray a water mist at the gasket to see if the gauge reading changes. Also check the intake plenum bellows at the throttle valve and at the MAF for cracks or loose clamps; a lot of times a crack in the intake plenum bellows will open/close due to engine movement.

Check is your engine grounds to make sure they are tight and no oxidation. With the car running, put a voltmeter on the lowest scale and measure from the block to the negative battery post. It should read no more than 50 millivolts (0.05V).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was adjusting some screws on the throttle body opposite of the tps and the truck do not dies now. still need to fine tune. Idle at 0800 but goes up 1100 rpm as the temperature rise

1 - 6 of 6 Posts