Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to anyone? At idle, the car runs fine. Sometimes, when it;s cold, it runs a little rough, but generally ~1700 rpm cold. When its warm, idle drops down to the normal ~900 rpm range. The problem arises when I am driving along, and intermittenetly, when I depress the clutch for an extended time (I do that a lot in moderate traffic), sometimes the engine rpms drop to around 500 for a few seconds. Every so often, when that happens, it stalls out. Cruising @ 50 mph, I just pop it into 3rd, and release the clutch, and engine comes back on with no problem. But has this happened to anyone with a manual B12 before? Car pretty much runs fine in all rpm, it just stalls out on that rare occasion.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Galimba1 said:
Has this happened to anyone? At idle, the car runs fine. Sometimes, when it;s cold, it runs a little rough, but generally ~1700 rpm cold. When its warm, idle drops down to the normal ~900 rpm range. The problem arises when I am driving along, and intermittenetly, when I depress the clutch for an extended time (I do that a lot in moderate traffic), sometimes the engine rpms drop to around 500 for a few seconds. Every so often, when that happens, it stalls out. Cruising @ 50 mph, I just pop it into 3rd, and release the clutch, and engine comes back on with no problem. But has this happened to anyone with a manual B12 before? Car pretty much runs fine in all rpm, it just stalls out on that rare occasion.

my car does that too.... it did that to me a few times in winter and scared the living crap out of me because it was like -45 outside and like a 14 hours wait for a tow truck... ive been trying to figure out why its doing that as well ( e16i )

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds almost as if the clutch is grabbing even when depressed and stalling the motor.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that was one of my guesses - I have an ACT clutch, and stock cable. Cable could be stretched. Its done it when in neutral, and when I depress the clutch. But its still prety rare - about once or twice a week it happens.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Slacky said:
o yea its called the iacv on our cars, anyway that one
i was thinking along the same lines. the Idle Air Control Valve might not be working properly so the idle doesn't reset to where it should quickly...it dips down and doesn't come back up quick enough......although it should still run at 500 rpm.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
I was a little confused reading your initial post. The car stalls periodically at an idle, but does it also die out at 50MPH ? If it dies out at 50 sometimes as well, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the IACV as I thought that only came into play at low speeds. Have you tried pulling codes to see if if the ECU sees any problems ? If it is acting up at running speeds, may even have something to do with the AFM ??? :rolleyes:

My car idles pretty stable, but occasionally when I first start it in the morning, as I pull out it stumbles a bit ? other than that, it runs 100%. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

about the only thing I haven't done yet was pull the IACV and clean it.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Gsolo said:
i was thinking along the same lines. the Idle Air Control Valve might not be working properly so the idle doesn't reset to where it should quickly...it dips down and doesn't come back up quick enough......although it should still run at 500 rpm.
Its still rare, but sometimes, when it dips down to that 500 rpm range, it runs rough, then dies. Is there an engine code associated with the aicv? I threw a code, but haven't checked it yet.

astreamk1 said:
I was a little confused reading your initial post. The car stalls periodically at an idle, but does it also die out at 50MPH ? If it dies out at 50 sometimes as well, I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the IACV as I thought that only came into play at low speeds. Have you tried pulling codes to see if if the ECU sees any problems ? If it is acting up at running speeds, may even have something to do with the AFM ???
No, my car idles just fine. Let me describe what happens - My car is running down the freeway @ 60mph. In 4th gear, the tach reads 3k rpm. Traffic starts to slow down, so I downshift from 4th to 3rd. Instead of rev matching, I hold the clutch in and let the car slow down by itself. At this point, the rpms will drop from 3k to just around 500 rpm. Sometimes, the engine will stall.

So, should a new OEM stealership valve do it or is a junkyard replacement good enough?

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slacky said:
when my iacv was bad i couldnt pass 50 or my car would shake like crazy, i also couldnt pass roughly 2k rpm
Hmm, but wait a sec, I don't have this problem. I can rev up to 5.5k+ rpms without any hesitation, and it runs fine from 0 to 75+ mph. No epilepsy in my car, its only vibration is from the heat shield occasionally contacting the cat.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Did you try adjusting your Throttle Positioning Sensor to factory spec? It contributes to how the ICV operates. I'm not sure at what RPM the thrittle switch part of it is supposed to click, but that may be part of the prob. A good shop manual will tell you how to do it and what RPM to make the switch click. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts