Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 nissan sentra and I'm 40 miles away from 112,000 miles. My problem is that when I turn my car on sometimes it will turn on, rumble a little and then just settle down to silence. All the lights go on like check engine and oil but the engine is dead. this is random but it seems to be happening more frequently. When it happens and I need to go somewhere I just rev it high then drop it into gear and go, if I get to a stop light I just put it in neutral and rev it. Some say it could be idle arm or hoses. If this has happened or you know what it could be please help.

thanks

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
quentin508 said:
I have a 1997 nissan sentra and I'm 40 miles away from 112,000 miles. My problem is that when I turn my car on sometimes it will turn on, rumble a little and then just settle down to silence. All the lights go on like check engine and oil but the engine is dead. this is random but it seems to be happening more frequently. When it happens and I need to go somewhere I just rev it high then drop it into gear and go, if I get to a stop light I just put it in neutral and rev it. Some say it could be idle arm or hoses. If this has happened or you know what it could be please help.

thanks
I have not had this problem yet but see discussion about it on the forum here frequently.
So from a previous post (kindfriends)
"1.6 (GA16DE). Unstable idle is a common problem, and if you search you will find as much information you need. Use search words like "idle", "IACV", "throttle body". Or look through old posts with titles like yours."

Good Luck....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Engine dies...

I would start with that (idle speed adjustment), sounds like the Idle may be set way too low or something. I'm not sure that is really the problem because if it was it would have been dying the whole time (or every start) and had this problem for awhile.
Is this a new problem? For the last how many miles?
I've got 87k mi on my 97 200sx se (same engine).
Try having a nissan dealer diagnose it (best bet for accurate diagnostic).
Does it throw any codes/CEL?

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Yea, I also think it's the IACV if it's only giving you trouble at idle. If that's the 1.6, I believe it's in the back of the intake manifold near the throttle body, on the SR20, it's on the opposite side of the throttle on the side of the manifold. I'd proly jus replace it at that mileage, if not, it can prolly be cleaned and rebuilt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you check all the easy things? Something as simple as a really dirty air filter or a hose that popped off somewhere can cause symptoms like this too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts