Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, If you have a dirty air filter, will that screw with your gas mileage.. i kinda forgot....

im goign to buy a new one today, so i can find out.. ill post what is better..

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
If it's really REALLY dirty over the entire filtration surface, then yeah, it could affect your mileage. I mean filthy dirty. The kind of dirty where your mamma yells at you for bringing it into the house.

K

·
0 Posts
If you have a dirty stock filter it will lower gas mileage aswell as performance, but if you have a cone filter I wouldn't worry to much!

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
KdudL said:
If you have a dirty stock filter it will lower gas mileage aswell as performance, but if you have a cone filter I wouldn't worry to much!
But the point was it would have to be incredibly dirty to make a noticeable difference in either gas mileage or performance.

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
GA is right, stock air filter gets replaced every 15K miles, and K&N style cleaned every 50k-60k. the dirt on a k&n actually helps do the filtering.

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
I didn't replace my stock air filter until around 55,000 miles, and even then it wasn't really dirty. I just KNEW it shuold hae been done many many many miles ago, si I went ahead and changed it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you have a stock filter, take it out and flip it around 180 degrees every time you change your oil until it's time to change it. You can see if you look at it at just the right angle where all the dirt collects. Flipping it around makes the air hit a cleaner part of the filter. It's like flipping over to the cool side of the pillow. When you're doing that, give it a few good slams against the ground to get all the big debris out. :eek:

·
Team Serious
2,134 Posts
UnderDog said:
If you have a stock filter, take it out and flip it around 180 degrees every time you change your oil until it's time to change it. You can see if you look at it at just the right angle where all the dirt collects. Flipping it around makes the air hit a cleaner part of the filter. It's like flipping over to the cool side of the pillow. When you're doing that, give it a few good slams against the ground to get all the big debris out. :eek:

yeah smack it up alittle or just buy a new one...you can get a nice fram airfilter for about 3.49

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm all about frugalness. I like to get every bit of that $3.49 out of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts