Nissan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 GXE, its in really good condition, bought it at 40k and put 20k on it. but unfortunatly the 1.6 isnt enough for me. i'm looking to put a new engine and tranny (preferabl turbo'd engine and 6speed tranny) does anyone have any suggestions on an engine and where to get one?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
That is a whole lot of work mate...personally, I'de look into turbocharging the 1.6 (NPM did a helluva job and so has Wes on the forums IIRC) and building the auto. That would probably satisfy your craving for power.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
wes said:
done and done.... Both on the GA
really!? wow youv hit 250 wes!? thats amazing.

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
The swap is alot more involved then you think..if u got alot of $$ to blow then its calling you..Im letting you know get ready to have you car down and out for the count for some time! And enought $$ for everything. I was going to do the swap( I have everything to do so) and Ive changed my mine, I make enought to buy a new car and I turned it down..whats your resson for a 6 speed tranny?

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
just turbo the GA, swaps are too expensive unless you wanna do it yourself and you can live with the car being down for extended amount of time. I blew my GA a week ago, they will put another GA into my car sometime this week and the guy wanted to charge me more than $3k for the swap to SR20 ..and for that price i could get a turbo for the GA and gain more power than SR20.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
B14_Stealth said:
just turbo the GA, swaps are too expensive unless you wanna do it yourself and you can live with the car being down for extended amount of time. I blew my GA a week ago, they will put another GA into my car sometime this week and the guy wanted to charge me more than $3k for the swap to SR20 ..and for that price i could get a turbo for the GA and gain more power than SR20.
Crud. Was that parts and labor? I prolly would have done it... Hmm... I was calculating more than that just for parts.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
B14_Stealth said:
yeah parts and labor, he said the parts would cost me like $2k upto 2,500 and labor would be like $1k.
I was figuring nearly $3300 for parts. I came up with quite a list. I wanted to get a worst case scenario figure so that I wouldn't starve to death. I figured I would get a completely stripped engine and go from there. I don't know which parts of the GA are transferable, so I figured everything in. Hmm... now its back on the table.... maybe. I like the way B15 Sentra SEs drive and look though.... decisions decisions....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how much work are we talking here. i've droped in engines in a weekend, i know this will probably take a little longer going from a NA to a turbo. money isnt really a problem. I'll research it a bit

·
Slashie
394 Posts
The Duke said:
how much work are we talking here. i've droped in engines in a weekend, i know this will probably take a little longer going from a NA to a turbo. money isnt really a problem. I'll research it a bit
ONLY IF MONEY ISN'T A PROBLEM:
Swap the GA for turbo SR20DE. It'll be easier to turbocharge, and you'll get more power out in the end, with less wear on the motor. (Because of less boost.)

This is a ton of work because virutally everything in the engine bay needs to be replaced. (Including axles.) I would say good luck getting this done over the weekend.

If you want to do this though, you might as well sell your car and buy a car that is a few years newer and already has an SR20. SR20s also have way better aftermarket support, and parts are slightly cheaper.

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
stevja1 said:
This is a ton of work because virutally everything in the engine bay needs to be replaced. (Including axles.) I would say good luck getting this done over the weekend.

Yeah, a weekend seems a LITTLE bit daunting - at least for a swap. You (Duke) must be talking domestics, right? Or do you mean straight motor replacement?

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
B14_Stealth said:
You would make what a Sr20det makes stock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts