Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a fully stock 96 240sx it is in great condition. I would love to add some power to it, idealy i want a sr20det swap but money is kinda tight right now. Could i buy all the things i need sepreatly and slowly and just kinda build it on the side or would buying everything i need flat out be better? I have heard of people just turbo charging the ka24......but its a truck engine....would i still get good performance and would that save me a lil cash? Im really just looking for anything i can do to this thing. Im thinking about puting an intake on it but im kinda stuck on choosing from a clod air intake or a short ram....whats the difference or whats better? What brand should i go with also?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just turbo the KA. Save up a few thousand dollars and do it all at once, that's the best way.

Just make sure you rebuild the engine. Putting turbo on a car isn't really that good for it, especially if you have high miles on it. Since you have a '96, that's probably the case.

Don't even touch cold air intake, go with short ram.

Then again, if you have turbo, there's really no point in putting intake on your car.

Personally, I would just work from the ground up. Get some really good tires, suspension, brakes, etc. Then work on the cosmetic stuff like window tinting, paint jobs, etc. Then when that's all over just go for the motor swap/turbo/whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Me personally I would have loved to messed with my KA but it was shot when I bought the car. If you have time I would go to a sr20 just because in the end cost will be close to the same.

You cant just stick a turbo on the KA it requires a lot of tunning and parts to get it running right.

But I think either would be cool. It depends if you want to have the little extra torque for take off. :thumbup: If so then stick with the KA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris90FB240sx said:
If you have time I would go to a sr20 just because in the end cost will be close to the same.

You cant just stick a turbo on the KA it requires a lot of tunning and parts to get it running right.
which end cost? the one where two years from now there's a hole in his block and the closest SR is in japan, because if he blows this motor a decent KA can be had for like 500 with tranny, the fact that parts don't need to be imported so the KA is cheaper all around, OR the fact that turboing the KA costs less and is easier to maintain... not to mention legal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
More people do the Sr swap because they don't know much about building up their KA, so they just swap the whole damn thing out so they don't have to worry about anything.

Also, it's just been the "in" thing to do lately. JDM this, JDM that. Everyone is creaming themselves over JDM lately. It's just the hip thing to do with your 240 lately.

On a practical (and financial) level, it's better to just soup up your KA. Makoto made very good points in his above post. If you need parts for the Sr, have fun paying twice as much for them and then waiting an extra 3 weeks for the parts to arive from overseas. If you need a new part for the KA, just go to Advanced Auto parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
im looking for about 300-350whp, so wouldnt you have to put in new internals for the ka and not the sr, and the sr already has all the turbo components you need, cause my plan is to just buy the chassis, hopefully for only a few hundred, and am looking to get an sr and get a front mount and little bigger turbo, so wouldnt that be cheaper then doing a full rebuild of a ka? correct me if im wrong, and also, i dont think its illegal, or in oregon at least, and there are tons of places to get parts for the sr.

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
rtuneg35 said:
Really, How so?
YOU BRING A POST OVER A MONTH OLD BACK TO START AN ARGUEMENT. whats this world coming to.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hoosier Daddy said:
Also, it's just been the "in" thing to do lately. JDM this, JDM that. Everyone is creaming themselves over JDM lately. It's just the hip thing to do with your 240 lately.
Dammit, I just spooged myself. :)

If the KA is in good condition, including good leakdown/compression test results, turbo it. Turbo kits for the KA used to be mroe expensive, but have come down in price considerably, and there are tons more offerings. :thumbup:

You don't really have to build the KA to boost it, but it's a good idea. If you do leave the longblock in stock form, keep the boost below 8psi and run premium.

I would go KA-T for a street car for quite a few reasons:
1) Parts availability
2) Legal aspects (assuming you can pass smog if required to do so)
3) More displacement = more torque = better around-town drivability

1 - 12 of 12 Posts