This is the Truck ("Runs Great"...LOL):
These are the things I already know:
- It hesitates very badly under acceleration (But no Check Engine Light).
- The idle is very rough. It Bounces from 500-800 RPM.
- Suspension is Bouncy. Shocks are very rusty (probably original), but show no signs of leaking.
- It has a Cone air filter....in addition to the stock air filter (LOL).
- The Rear Sliding Window is busted (but sealed up w/plexi glass).
- Driver's Tailight is busted.
- Driver's Door is "Keyed" badly (see below).
- Other small dents, dings and small rust spots...but otherwise OK.
bed and frame in good condition!
- Headliner fabric is drooping. 1/2 Dollar-size tear on Driver's Door vinyl, otherwise Interior just needs a good deep cleaning.
- NEW Windshield, NEW Driver's Window, NEW Upper/Lower Ball Joints.
The Dealer I took it to found the following:
- Clutch may be slipping a little.
- Rear Main Seal is Leaking (can be done during a clutch job).
- Valve Cover Gasket is Leaking slightly.
- Passenger Tie Rod Assembly needs to be Replaced (Tire is worn badly on edges).
- Will need an Alignment when Tie Rods replaced.
- Passenger Tire (Front) has "play" at 12 and 6 o'clock. (Possible Wheel Bearing Issue).
- Engine "surges" at idle and hesitates on acceleration (Possible Throttle Position Sensor Issue).
- Exhaust Tail Pipe is Missing. Only a small piece left after the muffler.
- Tire Tread Depth ranges from 4-6 MM. Will need new tires before winter.
So......I still want the truck. It's been very hard trying to find a good 4 cylinder (4WD w/manual 5-spd.) Nissan with very little bed/frame rust in CT for under my price range of $4,000. I can overlook the interior/exterior blemishes for now.
Mechanically...it has a few more problems than originally anticipated. I am not too concerned about the VCG and Rear Main Seal. I can live with leaks. It's more the suspension and engine issues that really bother me. Especially the hesitation on acceleration/bouncy idle. The Service Advisor thinks its a bad Throttle Position Sensor. It needs to be diagnosed further.
The kid selling it want's $3,000 or Best Offer and needs to sell it fast. the Dealer said offer him $1,500. I think $2,000 is more reasoble based on the condition of the frame and bed. I would probably have to spend $1,500 in parts and labor to get it up to snuff mechanically (excluding new tires and rear window). I can do basic repairs/maintenance like replacing shocks, fluids, spark plugs, etc. Engine diagnosis/repair and wheel bearings/tie rods are not at my skill level.
Do you think $2,000 is a reasonable offer? I don't want to miss out on this truck either.
Thanks for reading this lonnnng post!