Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She won't start, thought it was the battery at first due to the extreme cold we had but its not bad out now and she won't go even with a good boost.

Constantly turning over and not catchin to life. This motor has about 100k on it.

So how hard is it to check to see if that belt is shot? I can't really work on it outside due to the weather, just wondering if its worth gettin towed to my bud's garage and working on it...or maybe just chuckin the car :)

Oh yeah and whoever the genius was at Nissan who designed that rubber stopper oil cap really deserves a kick in the balls.

·
Registered
193 Posts
lbrowne said:
She won't start, thought it was the battery at first due to the extreme cold we had but its not bad out now and she won't go even with a good boost.

Constantly turning over and not catchin to life. This motor has about 100k on it.

So how hard is it to check to see if that belt is shot? I can't really work on it outside due to the weather, just wondering if its worth gettin towed to my bud's garage and working on it...or maybe just chuckin the car :)

Oh yeah and whoever the genius was at Nissan who designed that rubber stopper oil cap really deserves a kick in the balls.

LOL! Hell yeah. That oil cap is a bitch. I'd love to personally slap the person at Nissan that came up with that one. I know the Pulsar/Sentra cars were supposed to be affordable but damn, a screw on oil cap couldn't possibly have set Nissan back that much. I have to pry it off with a claw hammer and then beat the crap out of it to get it back on. I also hate the fact that they skimped on the little notches on the door that hold it open (at least on first generation Pulsars, don't know about the other models). I hate opening the door to get out and it swings back and crushes my leg.

Anyway, if your timing belt broke you'd likely know it as the engine would probably be tore up pretty bad. You can't let the timing belt break on an e16. That's bad news. I don't know exactly how you check it though. I paid a friend to replace mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres the scoop - car was running and made a trip to the grocery store.

Come back, shut the car off, then later moved the car 30 feet to where its normally parked, shut off.

Now it won't start. Battery is good, has oil, has gas. Constantly trying to turn over.

I don't think the belt broke but I do think it either slipped or jumped off its marks a bit.

Where its a belt I believe it would be alot easier to do than the chain on the 240sx I used the have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the distrubitor also driven by the camshaft?
pull off your dist. cap and crank it over briefly (set the cap next to something metal so you don't send spark everywhere) and see if the rotor moves. If not, then your timing belt is done.
Is that a belt or a chain?
the GA16i is a chain, don't remember what the e16i is.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
e16i is a belt for sure great little engine deff faster than my ga16i but anyway. One way u can deff tell if timing jump and killed any compresion u take all the spark plugs out except for the specific piston your looking at. So lets say your looking at piston 1 so u put a plug in it there by only allowing piston one to hold compresion if u can turn the crank all the way around and there is no compression then u bent a valve which means timing jumped u can do this for all 4 pistons or do the distributor idea and see if the rotor is at the corect position when cyl 1 is at tpd on the compresion stroke OOORRRR take the timing belt cover off and check visually which is somewhat hard if i remember because the engine mount is in the way, u can yank the cover off but u deff need to undo the mount to get the cover back on and the bolts on mine work torx for some reason and last but not least i hate timing chains

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to get some gasline antifreeze, its been so cold when she started doing this that maybe the lines are froze.

The last week temps have hit -40 degrees celsius. Not sure what that is in farenhiet for you US folks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can yes but this car is a trooper. ;)

Either way plugging them in is only utilizing the block heater, has nothing to do with gas lines. Keeps the oil from thicking up with the cold so it spreads faster on start up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you able to remove the air cleaner/filter assembly and spray gas into the top of the throttle body on this car? I would imagine you could, then I could try to start her...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea u can but id how well its gonna mix unles it was ina spray boddle, idk giev it a shot, gas is gas it will atleast pop and start to warm

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the car has just froze up solid. Its now in a nice warm garage to thaw out.

I'll be trying to start her later today.

·
Registered
275 Posts
haha.. good old -40 weather.. my car's survived it.. it hits -50 with the windchill here

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well she almost started with the battery just like it is when I went over.

Theres a battery charger hooked up now. Is it at all possible to let go a couple of screws on the top of the timing cover and just lightly bend it back a bit...to see if the belt is still there?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ooo she started :)

Hooked her up to this ancient battery charger for a couple of hours, when i went back to start her it didn't seem like she was going to quite catch and when she made a faint attempt to turn over i matted the throttle to the floor and she caught.

slowly but surely chugged to life after i took my foot off the pedal. I guess sitting for a week not started in -35 to -50 Celsius will do that to ya... :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea lack of fluid motion,, everything froze/dryed up, good to hear it started, being that u live ina cold area and it took so much trouble gettin it inside maybe u should pick up a super charger next time the local sears or tool store has a sale, jsut a suggestion

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually the battery prolly needs to be retired. the 850 cold cranking amps it has always roared that car to life no sweat on the coldest of northern cold nights here. But its getting to its age limit now. (if not past it)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just finished getting the block heater in my car two days ago. went out to start it this morning (-38F) and had a hard time wouldn't catch - first thought it was the starter being overly cold - jumped her with another car and she quickly came to life. going to look into a good strong battery tommorow. Also looking to change the transmission fluid to synthetic to help with the cold starts. I can kill the engine (when extra cold) just by letting out the clutch when in neutral :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts