Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight coming home from work i called some dude out in a civic, i dont know what year it was, but it was a newer one 96-97? and i dont know wether it was an EX DK or LX, i do know it was manual and had an intake and exhaust, i have a 96 sentra gxe(auto) with cai and exhaust, i beat him by a car lenght all the race down, until he downshifted and took off, but not by a lot, what do u guys think? my win right? since i didnt downshift(i consider downshifting cheating):rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, first of all my friend, lets say, u have a manual car, and u race a car in an automatic, u already have the biggest advantage of all, and if you cant beat the automatic like that......then downshifting is a coward's way out..........

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
lets say we are both crusing at about 40 mph, im in 4th gear already, say you punch it, what do you want me to do?? stay in 4th?? Im going to put it in 3rd because that gear would give me more power than 4th. 2nd would also give me more power but im at 40mph soit scares the shit out of me when i do that.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i see your point, u dont wanna lose, but look at it this way, say were at the track, lined up.......1/4 mile run, i have a stick and u have an auto, boom we take off..........the auto cant do anything, he's on D, shifting by ECU, while me on the other hand have a manual redlining the fucken thing, i would get more power off the powerband just like that, we have the same mods, but i cant beat him fair and square?????? (meaning 1st 2nd, 3rd gears, no downshifting) shit, if I wanted extra power, i coulda used my NOS....:rolleyes: (one more thing that is interesting, i have a bad fuel pump so i wasnt flooring the pedal, close, but not):cool:

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
i know i can take it up to 65 in 2nd gear. I was racing a celica and i got all caught up that i forgot to change gears and it was stuck at 65. I was just saying i didnt want to because it sounds really nasty and the car jerks so much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
when you apply 1/2 throttle the tranny automaticly downshifts so you get to down shift and i dont i cant help it you got an automatic but i will take full advantage of my manual

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nissanracer805 said:
i see your point, u dont wanna lose, but look at it this way, say were at the track, lined up.......1/4 mile run, i have a stick and u have an auto, boom we take off..........the auto cant do anything, he's on D, shifting by ECU, while me on the other hand have a manual redlining the fucken thing, i would get more power off the powerband just like that, we have the same mods, but i cant beat him fair and square?????? (meaning 1st 2nd, 3rd gears, no downshifting) shit, if I wanted extra power, i coulda used my NOS....:rolleyes: (one more thing that is interesting, i have a bad fuel pump so i wasnt flooring the pedal, close, but not):cool:
Ok, so you're saying if you have a manual you're spozed to leave it in a higher gear to make it fair? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a stick? The whole point of having one is to get power when you want it, or need it... case in point, a race. And also, most cars do not get full power of the engine by redlining... most dynos do not show cars having full power potential all the way to redline. Anyways, to say downshifting is cheating is kind of dumb, cuz it's like saying that because someone has an intake and exhaust it's cheating to race someone stock... if you don't want to race someone, then don't. Why do you think people do 5spd conversions in cars? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but it's not cheating to be driving a stick instead of an auto.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hold up, i aint trying to sound dumb or nothing, but i guess u just dont get it. of course manual transmission engines are cool for racing.. for example, two cars race, and they are both manual, by all means, go ahead and downshift the motherfucker all u want!!!, and that would be cool cuz the other guy can downshift his shit too! but if i drive a manual transmission car and i race a car in automatic(slow.....case in point) and that auto is kicking my ass, then i just got my ass kicked, nothing else to do, if i have downshift to beat him or catch up, then that fucks everything up, i guess what i'm trying to say is that my car is better than his, if mine were stick, i woulda downshifted too and smoked his ass, end of discussion, besides, i coulda downshifted my auto to 2nd if i wanted too, but didnt so when he shifted back into gear, i caught up to him and passed him, thats what i'm saying, is even tho he downshifted his shit,I STILL CAUGHT UP AND KICKED HIS ASS!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha, this thing got all complicated, so lemme just clear it up, we were at the light, we took off, i was beating him by a car length for some time, then he downshifted, caught up 2 me and passed me by a car and a half, but when he upshifted back into gear, i slowly caught up 2 him and beat him, i guess i made it sound like he beat me .....by him downshifting

·
Registered
413 Posts
nissanracer805 said:
haha, this thing got all complicated, so lemme just clear it up, we were at the light, we took off, i was beating him by a car length for some time, then he downshifted,
Hmm? Let me analyze this:

we were at the light
- stopped I presume
- he would be in first gear

we took off
- light turns green
- he takes off in first
- shifts to 2nd
- and so on

then he downshifted
- he was not racing you
- he realized you were trying to race him
- he downshifted to race
- he spanked you

Street racing is stupid.
This is not a win.
You changed your story twice.
You won, then you lost, then you won. :rolleyes:
WTF?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no no no, we were at the light, both of us stopped, the light turn green, we take off(racing) i take an advantage of 1 car length from him for about 1/4 of the race, he then downshifts, to catch up 2 me, and passes me by half a car length(then he upshifts back) when he does this, i catch up 2 him(still racing) AND PASS HIM ONCE MORE TO TAKE THE WIN!!!

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
i am sorry i am a little stupid but i have to ask this...

when racing why downshift if you were not already driving...

what i mean is if i stop at a light and i have my 5 soeed and i am ready to race...
i am going to redline every gear so whats the point of down shifting if you already got all out of every gear?

I thought you only down shift if you are already doing like 40 and someone zooms by you and you want to catch up///

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
something like that, to tell u the truth, i dont know why this dude downshifted, he was already redlining the damn thing...

·
Registered
152 Posts
thats the thing that bugs me about your story. have you ever driven a 5 speed? if you are hitting redline in 3rd (just an example) and you down shift to 2nd, you will hit the rev limiter at about 10k rpm and slow you down(while jerking like crazy) really quick.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.