Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the situation. I installed my indiglo gauges tonight and now nothing except the indiglo overlays work. My speedo is not working and niether is the tach, fuel, or temp gauges. Also none of the idiot lights are working. In fact the only other lights that are working are the turn signals. Not even the overdrive light is coming on. Also because of all this I think that something may be wrong with my Vehicle Speed Sensor because I just took my car to Wendy's and it goes all the way to O/D even at like 30 or 35 mph. Does anyone know what I should do or where to look? Right now I am thinking that the only place to look is the junkyard for a new cluster. I think I may have fried this one.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
make sure that you plugged in everything ok. Also, the indiglo gauges need to be on a seperate circuit or else you will really fry the cluster. Try running the power from a tap in your corner lights to your indiglos. It sounds like you unhooked something. Definately take the cluster back out and check the 3 plug harnesses.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see anything burnt but I think I did see a telltale puff of smoke. That and nothing is working and I checked to see if everything was hooked up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek: Directly to the cluster. I know, I know, I know. I didn't know what wires to splice into and sethwas said to hook the wires into where the bulbs were by screwing them in with the lights so they would touch the board

·
Registered
72 Posts
dude give us more details of your install and we can help you out better

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My main problem is that I don't know what to hook the power wires from the inverter up to. I have all the gauges installed and they look really good. However, it is all pointless if the actual real gauges like the speedo and tach don't work. Nothing is working on my cluster right now except for my turn signals. Bottom line, I think I fried the cluster.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
well, you probably fried the board b/c you ran too much power through the illumination (cluster bulbs) wire. The wire is only made to withstand the power of the 4 cluster bulbs. Do the rest of the night time blubs work (HVAC, Gear Shifter, YOUR REAR TAILS)? I once fried the fuse that runs all of those. Look at the back of your cluster...does it look a bit crispy?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't really look like anything is wrong. All my running lights and HVAC are working properly. Wait........If my cluster was fried would the actual cluster blubs still work? The gauges will still come on and the bulbs will still light up but nothing else on the cluster will work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I am going to the junkyard to pick up another cluster. If it works then I know that the old cluster is fried, if it doesn't work then I know that I have to look for the problem elsewhere and I will have to sell the new cluster(which shouldn't be that hard). Just for my information can anyone tell me how to hook up the power inverter so that I don't experience this problem again?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I went to the junkyard and got a new cluster. Still nothing. I can find any loose wires though. Is it possible that I have blown a fuse somewhere or shorted out a wire? And if all of this is true then why are the cluster bulbs still getting power? I know when you swap in a tach cluster you have to improvise with the tach wire. If this wire is not hooked up properly (as in if it came loose) does that keep other stuff from not working properly?

Here is the rundown: I took the cluster apart and installed the gauges. I plugged the cluster in with the inverter hooked up to the cluster bulbs. Turned the car and the lights on. The tach kinda worked for a minute and so did the temp gauge. Then I turned everything off and put the cluster in. When I drove the car around the block absoutely nothing worked. The speedo and the tach were both at zero and the temp gauge was on the bottom peg. The fuel gauge was pointed down further than E and that's pretty much the whole story.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
If your bulbs work then you didn't fry your board. And even if you fry your bulbs that has nothing to do with the rest of the cluster, unkless you scratched or tore part oft the green circuit. It is fairly fragile. Also you amy have blown a fuse, but you said there are lights. Bottom line, if your bulbs work, the indiglos will. The rest of the cluster is another story.

Seth

·
Registered
72 Posts
take the indaglo off does your stock gauges work again??? if so then the new indaglo is to thick and it's keeping the needles from moving you may have to cut a small section from where the needle goes through the gague this what i had to do tomine to ge the needle to spin as far as the power i just ran the ground and then ran the power wire to a light socket then reinstall the bulb

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it all straight now. I had blown my Meter fuse when the ign wire came loose and grounded out. I just had to track down the right fuse. Anyway everything is hooked up and working fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
the best way to hook up the power inverter that I know of is to connect the negative wire to any convenient grounding source and for the positive lead, tap a wire into the red wire in your corners and run that tap into the cabin where the power inverter is. I also suggest the common 18 gauge wire.
Hi, i know that this has nothing to do about what you guys are talking here.... but we have a thread going on about instrument cluster swap for '94 B13 here: http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8365 and i guess "1997 GA16DE" user is the right one we need to give us some advice... could you take a look please? just to make sure everything is ok?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts