Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, first post and i need some help... :newbie:

my '92 D21/hardbody stalls out under certain conditions...it's a KA24E manual, 159k on the clock. it will stall going around corners (giving it some gas usually prevents this) and it also stalls when coming to a stop -- this only happens in hot or muggy weather. when it's cool outside, it runs fine, no stalling. this has been going on for a while and always comes back when the weather is warmer.

the only thing that has been done to it lately is normal maintenance, a new oil sender and a new battery (it was getting hard to start after it would stall). i've researched a bit online and my best guess is that it could be a few things:

-bad thermostat? i.e. the thermostat is bad and ruins the idle
-bad oxygen sensor?
-bad tranny fluid which causes the torque-converter clutch to stay engaged, which causes stalling when slowing around curves or to a stop....?

any thoughts? i'd rather be more informed before taking it into the shop and wasting a lot of cash to get this diagnosed - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can't say I am knowledgeable about a 92 D21, but I have completely rebuilt a 89 D21 with the help of this board. If it is a manual then I doubt if it has a torque converter and transmission fluid. I think you will find a clutch plate and clutch doing the "torque converting" job and transmission oil in the gear case. But most importantly, if you want the pro's help then read the codes or get them read at a parts store and then post them so Zane Grey gets involved. That's the first thing he is going ask about. Once he is on the case, or any of the other pro's, then you are on the road to recovery. Also try the search function, lots of good stuff there and you don't have to wait for an answer. The coolant sensor may indeed be a source of trouble if it is throwing too much fuel into an engine that it thinks is cool. Maybe the codes will point you in the right direction. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses guys.

Is the check engine light on?
no.

it's like the car just dies - no sputtering, no shaking - when you let off the gas. it could be fuel pump/pressure related, that makes more sense...finding time to get somebody to read the codes is easier said than done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts