Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I was just reading the Ask Sarah section in the new NPM and she was answering a question on the 02 sensor. In the statement, she said that a bad O2 sensor can result in bad gas mileage, rough idle, and car dying when coming to a stop. Well, I knew about the gas mileage one, but I didn't know about the other two. These are all symptoms that I'm getting right now....

My gas mileage is pretty bad right now. I drive pretty hard, but on my almost weekly trip from orlando to tampa, the 125 mile trip eats almost half of my tank (I should make it 200miles before I hit the halfway mark, especially in the highway). Also, my idle is extremely rough and it fluxuates bad as well. And last of all My car dies when I come to slightly hard stops.

Now the Q's:
Could it really be my O2 sensor or am I just over reacting to these symptoms? Is there any more technical way to find out if it's really bad? How do I know which one is bad, it can't be both? How can they go so soon, I only have 32,000 on the clock? and lastly, what brand do I get and how much $$$?

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
i have the same problem except the car does not die... but gas is real bad... i get about 160 miles out of 3/4 of the tank...
i think the autopart store told me $49.00 for a new 02 for my car...
but i dont know witch one it is:mad: there are acouple of o2's on the cawr how do i know witch one is bad?

·
Registered
186 Posts
my car is doing the bad idling thing and it sputters when accelerating, but every autoparts store that ive gone and bought an o2 sensor at the the thread is to small anyone have ideas?
confused and pissed

·
Registered
393 Posts
damn, i get around 250 per tank too... and thats about 75% freeway.... anyone getting more?

·
G14 CLASSIFIED!!!!
763 Posts
360 per tank......

Second engine doing the same as the first..... Even with my mods a bumped timeing and a rough idle.... I know I have a vac problem some where and I have to find the sweat spot on the idle control sensor ans well a retard the timeing. Give those ideas a shot and then do a basic tune up, Plugs wires cap and rotor. That should clean the problem right up. if you want to test the cap remove it and there are 3 or 4 prongs on the inside of it. scape off any carosion and sand the inside of the prongs with really fine sand paper. use the fine sand paper to clean of the edge of the rotor and clean out any debree and reinstall. Make sure the plug wires go back into the stock positioning and are crossed exactly the way you took them off. give it a shot.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
mine milage is wiered. i get about 440 miles to a tank high-way and only about 15 miles to the gallon - city

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
I get about 450 miles per tank all highway with the A/C on, and about 400 in town without A/C. I've got 76,000 miles on mine, and never had to replace the O2 sensor, so if you've only got 32K on your 97, I'd say you could probably get Nissan to cover it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
CEL?

·
120 Posts
i get about 260-280 per tank in san francisco city driving mostly. imo that sux and i should be able to get better. what can we do to get better mileage? just basic tuneup? i'm hoping to get new spark plugs soon.

during last summer i did drive from tahoe back to SF in one tank of gas, and i think i went 500 miles before i filled up back home. hehe

·
Registered
451 Posts
97sentragxe said:
I get about 450 miles per tank all highway with the A/C on, and about 400 in town without A/C. I've got 76,000 miles on mine, and never had to replace the O2 sensor, so if you've only got 32K on your 97, I'd say you could probably get Nissan to cover it.

Hey what kind of rpms do you pull ive never gotten that good of gas mileage in the city and ive had my car since it was brand new

·
I think I lost my mod-nes
313 Posts
scrappy said:
Hey what kind of rpms do you pull ive never gotten that good of gas mileage in the city and ive had my car since it was brand new
I don't have a tach on mine, so I can't say my RPM's for sure, but i the city, I keep the revs pretty low before shifting. Theres nothing like hearing an engine revving for all it's worth, and then seeing that it's just a Sentra. :)
If I were to guestimate my RPM's in normal city driving, I'd guess I probably shift right around 4,000 RPM's or thereabout, and once I get to a cruising speed, I'll go to the next higher gear, which supposedly helps. I dunno if it does, but I've always heard that, so it's what I do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts