Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why shouldn't I use a race clutch on my daily driver? Instant engagement sounds nice to me. I would imagine that I would have to take care not to hastefully let off in traffic? Are there any race style clutches that aren't several pounds stiffer than the OEM clutch?

Could a novice like myself install a clutch by himself? I have no one to help me:(, but I want to learn how to do most of all my own work. I'll leave allignments to the pros..... Can my current tranny be upgraded to handle more POWER? Are there any aftermarket trannys?

thanks---~~~~---~~~~

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not install a "race clutch" in a daily driver?

Well, I guess you would first of all have to define a "race clutch." Are you talking about a solid hub disc? Are you just talking about a high force pressure plate? Are you talking about a 4 puck disc?

OK, the general answer.....

1) A "race clutch" will really give you no real advantage on an engine that is not built with high hp and torque.

2) A "race clutch" tends to have much harsher engagement and this can break things in the drivetrain.

3) A "race clutch" can require a lot of effort and will be annoying to drive on a daily basis.

I could see a slight upgrade for a bolt-on engine, but beyond that is a waste of money and could even be detrimental.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I was refering to a 4 or 3 puck disc type clutch. When I'm finished my car will not just have simple bolt ons..... I'm planning on installing a turbo with high boost. I wish someone could tell if anyone makes low compression pistons and forged parts for my GA16 motor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i installed the centerforce dual friction clutch and can say it is as soft if not softer that the o.e.m.,and can handle alot of power(ive been told anyway),this is a small transmission and can be removed easily,if you have never removed the trans or any other hard mech.experience,you can still do it with a service guide and a friend or two,(that will also be a good time to replace both you c.v.axles (if bad).

·
Registered
177 Posts
about the pistons , i have looked high and low and no one makes any pistons for the ga16de ,but can be made with a stock sample,people at JE. told me they can make any piston,also rods can be made with a sample.if you read Mike K. garage and the 200sx 1.6 project car this engine is strong and can take 8 to 10 psi, but to go further than that pistons and rods should be looked at,the crank on this engine is very strong.and so is the block.
other than the clutch for the transmission you can go with phantom grip limited diff.(its 250.$)and thats about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I wonder how much it would cost to get custom pistons and rods made? I'll give them a call

·
Registered
185 Posts
B13TTSE said:
Sorry, I was refering to a 4 or 3 puck disc type clutch. When I'm finished my car will not just have simple bolt ons..... I'm planning on installing a turbo with high boost. I wish someone could tell if anyone makes low compression pistons and forged parts for my GA16 motor.
Do you even have an idea how much boost the GA16 can handle?

IMHO, if you are going to do all that work, get an SR20 to build. In the end it will actually be a lot less expensive than building a turbo set-up for the GA16. Hell, a stock 9.5:1 CR SR20DE can take a fair amount of boost w/o being built and will probably make more power than a built GA16.

If you plan to blaze the trail here, expect to pay HUGE bucks. I don't mean to discourage you. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.

I don't think you'll need a 4 puck and a 3 puck is just stupid, even if you could get it to make 500 hp. Don't waste your money on a "race clutch." The most you will likely need is a JWT street clutch. If you do build a big dollar (plan on well over $5k) turbo GA16, you might need a bit more clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts