Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, since you guys gave me great advice last time, I figured it be best if I asked ya again! Just to let you know, I have a base model 91 Hard Body. So my first question is, will taking the cat. and the muffler that follows off and replacing it with a glasspack cause any overheating problems or premature o2 sensor failure?

My second question is pretty simple: My HB currently does not have an RPM gauge. Can I maybe bum one off of another nissan truck in a junk yard that has one? Did they even have any tachs for these trucks then? And what truck year/make should I look for to obtain the tach? Will it be an easy job to do?

My third questions a little weird. How can I keep water/mud from going into my stock intake tubing (thus going into my engine) when mudding without having to use a snorkel? I've heard of putting some AC filter material into the intake tubes, but I'm not sure about that. Do you guys know of any off-roading secrets that might be of use? Thanks again for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
yes, you can take a tach from a junker and use it, it would probably be easier to get the cluster and switch them.

the cat and muffler removal, glasspacks are essentially a muffler but I would get a performance cat as well. if the O2 sensor is before the cat and muffler it will not affect it.

the intake mounts to the inner fender so the air comes from between the fender and inner fender. (at least that is how mine is) you should place a shield to get the mud and water from spraying in between the 2.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information Dave, I'll be ordering the cat. and glasspack soon and I'll be going to the junkyard Friday to look for the tach. As far as the sheild goes though, how can I make a shield that protects the water and mud from going inside the intake while at the same time giving her plenty of cool air? Is there an easy way to put the shield in without having to take the fender off?! Thanks again for your time.

-Mike-

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know of one for the OE air cleaner but some after market air intakes have a "sock" you can put around the air filter. It will help but......

No matter what you do, you will get some dirt inside the intake.
It will starve it for air a bit, but not bad.
The sock will not stop the engine from hydro locking if you get the intake submerged.... it's not waterproof otherwise it would starve it for air so bad it wouldn't run.

On the good side...
Many of the after market air intakes are reusable. When you get done muddin, spray the air filter out with a water hose, let it dry and put it back on. Some of the after market intakes have the air filter enclosed in box of sort. This will also help act as a splash guard to your air filter.

On the OE intake you guys could be on to something. It has a long intake that travels slightly upward. You could try putting some type of filter media (pantyhose??) over the opening of the intake tube at the inner fender well. Overlap the fasteners with the filter media and snap it in. It will help some splashing, but it could suck into the engine if it tears.

If you get in deep water..... Snorkel is your only option. I have seen them rigged up where they are easily removable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I figured there wasn't too much that I could do without obtaining a snorkel. Perhaps I'll try putting some mesh media towards the beginning of the intake tube and then put some material like pantihose right before the intake housing so no dubry gets into my engine. Last case senerio, I'll just fab up a tube that runs from the air box along side my frame to the bed of the truck with PVC and use an old upside down coffee can to make a hidden snorkel...idk, I guess I'll figure something out, I'm trying to avoid cutting into my fender. Thanks for your advice rbo1577186, you gave me something to think about!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts