Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Sentra GXE. After changing the head gasket, I got a "check engine" light. I went to the local Auto Zone to pull the code and the sales guy read P0340 or Camshaft Position Sensor. I looked in my manual and found out what this is. I would like some suggestions about what might have caused this problem and what I should do next. I should mention that I did fool with the timing a bit after I installed the head. The car runs fine, though the gas mileage maybe just a bit less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have that same code on my 96 GXE. Did you take care of that on yours? I had replaced my distributor and ended up having to remove the rocker cover because the old distributor ears had broken off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm looking up how to use the self diagnosis mode to reset the ECU. When I took it to Advance, I asked them to clear the codes and these 2 came back (or so they said. I couldn't really see them clear them on the screen).

I had another suggestion to make sure piston #1 was at TDC when installing the distributor (I didn't do this before). They said that could cause these codes as well. I suppose I could try resetting the ECU and then the TDC bit...

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
wheels_99 said:
I'm looking up how to use the self diagnosis mode to reset the ECU. When I took it to Advance, I asked them to clear the codes and these 2 came back (or so they said. I couldn't really see them clear them on the screen).

I had another suggestion to make sure piston #1 was at TDC when installing the distributor (I didn't do this before). They said that could cause these codes as well. I suppose I could try resetting the ECU and then the TDC bit...
Download the FSM. It tells you how to properly reset and pull codes from the ECu along with how to tell TDC on compression and in what position the rotor should be in as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks! It appears clearing the codes did the trick. I don't have the Check Engine light on anymore and i've driven the car 3 times and started a few more. I think that would be enough to make the light come back on if the problem was still there, correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts