Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals,
this is a question for all you engineering types: was driving along today in The Liquid-Sunshine State when it started to rain (go figure), so I rolled up the windows and slapped on the A/C due to the 90+ temp. About 30 seconds later, I hit a curve in the road (speed approx 50 with a set of two month old tires) and for some reason the car kept going forward. I let my foot off the gas and regained control. I've noticed that this problem only occurs when the A/C is on (due to the fact that it has rained here almost every day for 2 weeks). What is causing this?

and just an aside....is there an optimum RPM for gas mileage?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
Well..number one it sounds like when it rains you always click on the A/C...

Number two you are driving too fast for the conditions, and need to slow down....

Number three turning the A/C on when it rains is purely coincidental and has no effect on a car hydroplaning, it is the tread design on your tires, and going TOO FAST for the water that has collected on the roadway.

so..slow down when it rains...

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
black200sxser is correct. your a/c being on has nothing to do with hydroplaning. if anything, the loss in power that comes from turning on the a/c should help by reducing the power output, therefore making less jerk when you hit the gas. just slow down when it rains, we don't want anyone dying on us.

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
you said your tires were only 2 months old.just for info, what brand and size are they....just out of curiousity.

does this happen if it is raining, and you DONT turn on the ac..? everytime? is it when it first rains..?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're Yokohamas I think they're 205/65?r15s....too dark to see right now. And yes, it only has happened to me while the A/C is on. Like I said it rains down here almost every day, but it's not usually hot enough for me to throw on the A/C....usually just turn the fan on instead. I appreciate your opinions and I know that slowing down does help....but just wanted to see if there was any corelation.

·
Driver
736 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
It's definately just a coincidece. with those tires, I don't see how you can possibly hydroplane that much, unless you're going extremely fast. the A/C thing is just in your mind. it's like saying your alignment is off every time you switch on your headlights.
Well, those are relatively wide tires...and wide tires hydroplane easier...so they could be contributing to the hydroplaning, not preventing it.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Is your car an auto? Well first off, the a/c and hydroplaning are about as far apart a subject as you can get so I don't think it has anything to do with each other (meaning I agree with everyone above...)

BUT, my theory, I've noticed when the a/c compressor is going on and off there's often a MINOR, minor surge in power... maybe that's what's doing it?

Just my wacky theory...

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
barnoun said:

Well, those are relatively wide tires...and wide tires hydroplane easier...so they could be contributing to the hydroplaning, not preventing it.
well, it also has to do with the tread design. Yokohamas are a pretty high quality tire (I'm not sure if I'm at all right on this) but it all depends on what the tire was designed for.

·
Driver
736 Posts
Maybe the loss in power due to the A/C is also making you compensate by pressing the gas harder, then when the A/C temporarily turns off the car gets its power back and you end up accelerating too much...like James' theory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts