Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey X-Trail people, I've stumbled into a little problem on my 05 X-Trail... Maybe you can help?

Started out on a pretty big drive the other week. Was going to be about 1000km. Anyway, got an hour in and noticed that there was a humming/whirring noise that you didn't really notice until about 100km/h, when it became quite loud (almost sounded like when you have something strapped to the roof and a strap is flapping in the wind). Pushed further to 120 and it kind of seemed less loud, I think just because it became higher pitched. I tried taking the engine out of gear to test for engine mounts, and the sound was exactly the same. So I assumed it must be a wheel bearing. That's the only thing that remains spinning when the engine is in neutral and you're rolling at 100km/h, right?

So I stopped at a garage and jacked up the front wheels (where it sounded like it was coming from) and road the right wheel felt pretty stiff to spin. Also found that one back tire was only running at 25 PSI when the others were at around 34. So I inflated that to match the others. Sound still remained so I turned back and drove home.

Took the car to the mechanic and he confirmed he thought it was a wheel bearing. So replaced the front right wheel bearing and hub, which seems to have fixed the sound a little, but there's still something not quite right. The mechanic said it was hard to tell if it was fixed above the tire noise, and to be fair it does sound a little like tire noise, but tires were nothing like as loud as this before.

So I'm wondering what else it could be? Could it be another bearing? Could the underinflated tire have damaged the differential? Has anybody experienced something like this before and got any advice???

Thanks in advance!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,901 Posts
The right front tire may have developed a cupping wear pattern from a problem with the front drive system. A cupping wear pattern can produce the type of noise you're encountering. Switch the RIGHT front tire with the rear LEFT tire and see if the noise follows the tire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I'll definitely give that a try, thanks! Or maybe just switch onto my winter tires altogether and see if that fixes it....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, sad times. I switched to my winter tires, but still get the noise around 90 km/h and up. So I guess it wasn't cupping wear, which is cool as it means I don't have to replace struts etc. however, doesn't get me any closer to the cause of the issue :-/ Anyone got any other ideas I could try?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, sad times. I switched to my winter tires, but still get the noise around 90 km/h and up. So I guess it wasn't cupping wear, which is cool as it means I don't have to replace struts etc. however, doesn't get me any closer to the cause of the issue :-/ Anyone got any other ideas I could try?
I have a similar issue with my X-trail recently. It is a 2006 Canada model.
I noticed I was getting louder than normal noise when driving above 65km/hr.
Took it to the mechanic and told him that I think it is a wheel bearing. He took it for a test drive and did some other checks and told me that it isn't a bearing and that it is just road noise. Hard to believe because the road noise is distinct in sound this sounds like a jet engine humming while at a constant speed. It gets louder (higher frequency) when driven faster.

Anyone have any ideas further about this issue?

This noise only started to occur just recently as well which is why I know for fact it is not road noise and is something more mechanical.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,901 Posts
QUAD is right when he says: "Are both rear bearings good? I have found that it is hard to pinpoint the sound they make when driving the car."
Since you had the right front wheel bearing replaced, you might as well have the front left wheel bearing replaced. This way you'll at least eliminate the wheel bearings as the source of the noise. The only things left is a worn CV joint or a problem in the transfer case.

Worn CV joints generally make noise at much slower speeds and especially when making turns.

Transfer case whining noise generally occurs if the case is very low on oil or if the ring/pinion teeth surfaces are heavily worn or damaged. Check the oil level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, i am facing the same issue. Checked on all wheel bearings and tires, still not able to solve the problem. Anyone able to help me on this issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts