Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the 1,000,000 question..

which is cheeper and better for someone who can only afford 3-4 grand for huge increase in power and dependabilty..

should i

A) get the HS turbo kit.. with everything.. get new injectors.. get a new ECU..

B) or get a hard to find sr20 in good condition, do the swap, do the engine tranny.. swap.. (and ECU upgrade maybe... )

which is gonna be cheaper? Travis

·
Registered
672 Posts
go for the turboed 1.6 u know u waaant it:D ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unless you plan on doing the swap yourself, a jdm sr20det swap won't cost 3-4k (you have to change a lot of stuff out). You could get the turbo kit for that much. Not too mention there aren't too many GA16DET engines out there. You can still get some serious power from it. I think chef has a 1.6 turbo pushing like 210 HP.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok lets say that it costs like an hour for a mechanic.. or more.. whatever.. anyways.. how long has it taken you people to swap your sr20 into a b14???? how long will it take.. lets say that i just go for a NA sr20.. i know its still gonna need a new tranny and ecu.. but.. what else? compresors? or .. should i do a ga16deT?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
JT200SX-N-FX said:
I'm tellin you SR20 in the long run is the playa's choice
Sounds like good advice. :rolleyes:

Anyway what do you want? The Stage 2 turbo 1.6 will be faster than any full bolt on SR20DE. But it really depends on you. You can do a DE-T swap for about that much (if you play your cards right), however with a stock T25 DE-T you will be very close in power to the turbo 1.6.

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
wes said:
Sounds like good advice. :rolleyes:

Anyway what do you want? The Stage 2 turbo 1.6 will be faster than any full bolt on SR20DE. But it really depends on you. You can do a DE-T swap for about that much (if you play your cards right), however with a stock T25 DE-T you will be very close in power to the turbo 1.6.

Thanx Dogg. He's right, is all in how much speed you want, and what kinda realiability of Turbo. SR20's are emmision bandits. While the GA is cleaner.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
HUH

The SR20 is no worse on emissions than the GA16. It is all in how you modify the car. Look at the Disco Potato (SEMA project turbo B15 SR20) IIRC that car took second place for cleanest emissions results in last years Ultimate Street Car Challenge.

·
Registered
393 Posts
turbo kit for ga costs 3G alone, right? plus you need drive train parts... i have friends that told me you can get a sr20det engine (i think complete) for close to 1000. plus install on both, of course. i wanna go w/ the swap. both are illegal tho. (on the streets anyway)

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
DE-T

You CANNOT complete a DE-T swap into a 1.6 car for anywhere near $1000, in fact you won't be near $2,000. There are too many extra's required to make it work. It can be done, but you will be spending about $2500 MIINIMUM, and that is doing EVERYTHING yourself.

·
Registered
393 Posts
unless he's lying to me, thats what he said. there should be no reason why he would tho. granted, he's a mechanic and dropped it in himself. but he said he payed 1000 for the "swap". i would assume that meant complete, if he meant he still needed tranny and others, then thats understandable.

·
546 Posts
Just get something fast that you like dogg! These are all just our opinions. There are Dyno sheets on both setups, Dogg check em out on NPM!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have to agree with Wes on pricing for a swap. The cheapest I have ever heard a complete swap going in for was 2490 and the guy did it himself, ex-Nissan mechanic. The most expensive I've heard is 4700, this was going from a 1.6L to a sr20det, alot of unexpected stuff and some parts were damaged on the install and had to be replaced. A shop did this one.

IMHO, going from a 1.6 to sr20det is NOT going to be a cheap process unless you can do 95% of the work yourself.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Let's put it this way, I'll be swapping an SR20DET into my SE-R next year, and It's going to cost me $2600 to do it myself. That's not including a new clutch and lots of other things that I plan to do. So figure that another $1K in parts alone to to do the swap into a GA16DE powered car. Then you have to figure labor for anything that you don't do yourself.

ok lets say that it costs like an hour for a mechanic.. or more.. whatever.. anyways.. how long has it taken you people to swap your sr20 into a b14???? how long will it take
An hour?! ROTFLMAO!!!! Try 10 or more. It takes most guys a weekend to do. JGY does these swaps all the time and I bet it still takes him 5+ hours.

I used to take the stand most everyone else has, do an SR20DET swap, but the hotshot turbo will be cheaper without a doubt and you'll have comparable HP from what I understand. Ask Mike Young about it, he's convinced me that the hotshot is a very cost effective alternative to an SR20DET swap. What I decided to do was neither, I sold my GA16DE powered car and bought an SE-R to save myself $1K in parts, a shitload of hassle and it upgraded me to 4 wheel discs, rear spoiler, fog lamps, 14" wheels, Tached gauge cluster, nicer interior, etc. all the things my SE-R has over my XE. Granted the SE-R ended up costing me $1600 after I sold the XE and it needs a clutch, crank seal and the lifters are noisy, but I still don't regret it.

When swapping to an SR20 you need a tranny, shafts, a motor mount, radiator hoses, PS hoses, ECU, Engine harness. Also consider the difference between the electrical systems of an SR20DE powered car versus a GA16DE powered car. Swapping into a GA16DE car left me uneasy about it so I didn't do it. But that's just how I feel about it. I can see that it's a tougher decision for you guys who've put alot into your GA16DE powered cars. If I were in that boat, I'd do the hotshot turbo. Either case you're going to need to do a clutch.

·
546 Posts
Actually JGY are Professionals, and they told me car downtime was 4 days. So it's not easy by a longshot for anybody!

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
turbo kit for ga costs 3G alone, right? plus you need drive train parts... i have friends that told me you can get a sr20det engine (i think complete) for close to 1000. plus install on both, of course. i wanna go w/ the swap. both are illegal tho. (on the streets anyway)
u dont need drive train parts right away. a good driver can continue using the stock clutch, if not driven that hard. but yes eventually a stronger clutch and some sort of limited slip would really help.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
The guy on my team did the 1.6 to DE-T swap. He did all the wrenching himself and it was still $4000.00

DE-T
axels
tranny
motor mounts
ecu reprogrammed
numerouse other things...

It is pretty expensive...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts