Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else installed a Hotshot intake on their car? I drive a 98 200sx SE-R and I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing in there.

1) The cone filter they gave my won't fit beside my battery. Do I need a smaller battery? What size of battery is supposed to come in my car (I have a 10x7 inch, but it may have been a replacement before I bought my car)

2) The piping seems altogether too long - it's very difficult/impossible to cram it all in there.

I'm pretty sure I have the right one - it has all the inputs/sensor holes in the right place.

What's going on? ANY help is appreciated.

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have never installed one but you may want to check sentra.net or some of the older online nissan mags they have. I am pretty sure they have done tech articles on this one.

Hope it helps

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
You do know that the filter ends up behind the front bumper and not beside the battery, right? You know that oval hole in the body work were the stock intake goes down into behind the bumper? You have to enlarge that hole and run the tubing through there. IIRC you do have to slightly modify the battery tray.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I actually didnt cut my battery holder. I slid the holder over and drilled new holes in the body. It is a lot closer to the distributor cap but there is lots of room to the right of it. I have the GA16DE but Im sure its the same procedure to install it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Niss200SXGTR: It's the cold air - two pipes.

PatScottAKA99XE: I didn't know that it had to go all the way over there. No wonder I couldn't figure it out! How would you recommend "enlarging" this hole. You wouldn't happen to have any (or know where I could find some) pictures of this, would you?

You can probably tell I'm more of a beginner at these things, but I'm doing what I can.

Aaron

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Well first you have to remove the resonator box from below that hole. If you havent already. Just pull out the screw/clips for the front of the inner fenderwell.

To enlarge that hole use a dremmel, die grinder, or something similar. Lots of people have had good luck making the hole slightly larger then the pipe, just enough to line the hole with some rubber hose split down the middle.

If you need more help dont be afraid to ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice - it's installed! I can definitely feel more power, except for my clutch is slipping real bad so I can't use it properly =/ My clutch is a whole different ballgame.

Thanks very much for the help guys - I probably would have gotten frustrated and taken a hammer to it if you didn't explain it for me =)

One last question though, what was the point of that resonator box? It seemed useless to me.

Oh, and one last, last question. When I gun it, it's supposed to hiss a little bit right? Or do I have a bad connection somewhere. Either way, I like the sound =)

Aaron

·
Banned
809 Posts
well, what the resonator box is for, is precisely to resonate.. to quiet it down.. i plan on puttin a CAI extension in my setup.. just not for a while.. its raining WAY too much.. but mine, when i gun it, its like a super deep WOOOOOOOOOooUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOOUUUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH then i see the civic in my rear view mirror.. mY clutch is slipping also.. i wonder if an intake effects it in any way? maybe too much HP gain!? lol

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
the hissing sound is ok
stock clutch is good for all bolts ons....basic bolts ons...like i/h/e/pulley it should handle about 30+ hp over stock.....if driven properly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I noticed the engine sounded different after the intake was put on - in my opinion it sounds better with no resonator box. It creates more of a low growl instead of a high screetch.

My clutch was slipping before my intake went on - too many high RPM dumps I guess. But is there any other way to drive?

It seems as I drive now the intake moves a little bit and you can hear it scraping against the sheet metal I cut for it to go down behind the bumper. I'm thinking I'll just do what PatScottAKA99XE said, but hoseclamp the hose to the intake so it doesn't fall off. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off without it looking ghetto! Or if anyone has any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks for the help guys.

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have my HS CAI in my car and all you have to do is make the whole bigger and on rite now i only have one bolt on my battery tray but the weight of the battery keeps it in place. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts