Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
dont like it, its unpractical.

the RB has no more potential than the VG30DETT. waste of money, but to each his own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very practical. z over heating problem.....gone z burning harness problem....gone. have to buy 2 wastegates two turbos gone. lostso muchand gained so much money

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will post more pics when i get the bumper back on, and the radiator installed should be by next week as i have to tune it and get it on a boat back to the states by march

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Shadow Z said:
dont like it, its unpractical.

the RB has no more potential than the VG30DETT. waste of money, but to each his own.
Hmm lets see. A: Much easier to work on an I-6 than the super wide VG30DETT. Don't have to remove the engine to do minor work any longer. B: The RB26 has a lot of potential. Much higher redline than the VG30, significantly more capable of much higher Hp numbers. C: Nissan chose this engine to represent in the race field because of its size and because larger engines had longevity issues. VG30DETTs are good engines, but in the long run the RB26 is just better.
When all is said and done the RB26 will dust the VG30 for powermaking ability, as well as the higher redline. The VG30 is a torque motor, the RB is a Hp motor, plain and simple.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
S-tec said:
very practical. z over heating problem.....gone z burning harness problem....gone. have to buy 2 wastegates two turbos gone. lostso muchand gained so much money
It's not practical (Money to Hp ratio), Z's don't have over heating problems. (Who totld you that?),

"gone z burning harness problem....gone. have to buy 2 wastegates two turbos gone. lostso muchand gained so much money"

And I don't know wha tyou are saying???

RB in a Z32 is a very good project if you have the time and money but practical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you must live somewhere not in the sub tropics. they have massive over heating problems, wire harrness burning problems, even saw one melt a brake resivior. Also the money to get hp out of a z in incredibly expensive. usually arround 45k to build a car. 25 or so in the motor. maybe not in the states but here you can get a built rb for a fair price. turbos and kits are also very cheap. so basically this guy got a z that does not have z problems. personally i like the vg however it was a bad choice for a motor in the z. should have went race breed

·
Registered
72 Posts
well where are you from?
no im not tropical, no Z i have ever heard of has engine harness fire issues, or melting issues.

No, RB's are not cheap around here, nor common. you asked for opinions, i gave you mine.

for arguments sake, a CSB would destroy an RB. Thats also cheaper here in the states. Either way, they are no longer kosher.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hmm lets see. A: Much easier to work on an I-6 than the super wide VG30DETT. Don't have to remove the engine to do minor work any longer.
The VG isnt that wide of a motor, i wont argue that an I isnt easier. But i didnt have to remove my engine for any reasons other than a full rebuild, hell i installed headers on my Z with the engine in.
B: The RB26 has a lot of potential. Much higher redline than the VG30, significantly more capable of much higher Hp numbers.
Sure it has potential, but where is the potential in the VG limited, the redline can be raised, but stock, yes the RB is higher.
C: Nissan chose this engine to represent in the race field because of its size and because larger engines had longevity issues. VG30DETTs are good engines, but in the long run the RB26 is just better.
Just better? can u back that up factually? Longevity issues??? My Z had 170k, and still ran strong, i had it rebuilt only for nitrous and to ensure another 200k.

When all is said and done the RB26 will dust the VG30 for powermaking ability, as well as the higher redline. The VG30 is a torque motor, the RB is a Hp motor, plain and simple.
Again with the redline. and last i checked, Inlines produced better torque.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Shadow Z said:
The VG isnt that wide of a motor, i wont argue that an I isnt easier. But i didnt have to remove my engine for any reasons other than a full rebuild, hell i installed headers on my Z with the engine in. Isn't that wide of a motor? Whens the last time you compared the width of a VG30DETT to how wide even a BBC is.......

Sure it has potential, but where is the potential in the VG limited, the redline can be raised, but stock, yes the RB is higher.

Just better? can u back that up factually? Longevity issues??? My Z had 170k, and still ran strong, i had it rebuilt only for nitrous and to ensure another 200k.Longevity issues on the race track. The RB26 was determined to be the maximum size for an engine that could still shed it's heat quickly enough.

Again with the redline. and last i checked, Inlines produced better torque.
Inlines make less torque than V motors do. Its just a factual part of the design. Power delivery with I6 motors is smoother, and they can rev quicker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and try to get a vg and everything to support 700hp together for uner 20k. as far as the wiring harness. on a average zcar here the harness must be replaced at least every 10 years to keep the damn thing running. it is very hard to get the harnessout of a rhd model. ld are much easier. of yeAH I canchenge turbos in 15mins :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shadow Z said:
well where are you from?
no im not tropical, no Z i have ever heard of has engine harness fire issues, or melting issues.

No, RB's are not cheap around here, nor common. you asked for opinions, i gave you mine.

for arguments sake, a CSB would destroy an RB. Thats also cheaper here in the states. Either way, they are no longer kosher.
whats a csb?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why are you guys all freaking out about this dudes motor? Rb's are great engines. VG's are great engines too. If i had the time and money i would swap an RB in my Z in a heartbeat!!! Even if the performance was the same it would just be cool. Although if i had enough money to just swap engines for fun i think i would just have to go ahead and import a R34.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Love it man keep up the good work... That'll be one haulin SOB when it's done... hmmm I wonder what a 4WD 300 would be like...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scafidipro said:
Why are you guys all freaking out about this dudes motor? Rb's are great engines. VG's are great engines too. If i had the time and money i would swap an RB in my Z in a heartbeat!!! Even if the performance was the same it would just be cool. Although if i had enough money to just swap engines for fun i think i would just have to go ahead and import a R34.
i agree they are both good engines, i would not say great. the next one i do i will be putting in a 2jz. (i will catch some stuff about that i am sure) but this is not my car it belongs to my customer who is a marine in okinawa. the car has to be shipped back to the states next month.

as far as the vg goes. i believe it is a pretty stable design. however i do believe it has been put in a engine bay that is too narrow, making heat, and repair horrible. as far as your comment above about a z with a billgillion miles. it is n/a not tt of coarse they are easier to work on than tt models there is enough room for the engine.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
S-tec said:
whats a csb?
As in Chevy:Small Block. Only those that can't handle JDM technology install such things, to desicrate the Nissan chassis. I always said, if you want a cheap V8 car buy a Camaro, and leave the Z cars alone.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Exactly, Z Cars should be left alone, with the VG still in them.

You want a Skyline or a Supra motor... BUY A SKYLINE OR A SUPRA

1 - 20 of 39 Posts