Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i was faced with the situation of an ugly switch after installing my power antenna... So i decided to make a poor man's console... It's actually very simple, and i took pictures with my camera phone as i did my work... hope this gives ideas to those out there.. hopefully its never been done before and i dont look like an idiot... oh well, here it goes...

1. Pull out center console and remove empty space box thingy

2. Grab one of those AOL CD covers you get in the mail, or a DVD cover from some unwanted promo disk...looks like this...

3. Place the box thing facing down onto the CD/DVD case, and with a pencil trace it... in this picture i am just showing it down against the cover, but i traced my line higher up so that i could get the middle flap thing of the DVD cover seen in the second picture.. Cut it where you made your marking...

4. Test the new cover for fitment before you go any further and cut the holes for the switches/clusters...use the top flap to make it fit tighter and look more even.. then add the center console frame to see how it will look and if it is flush...
... ...

From here on this might be different depending on what you are putting in the panel.. In my case i am only adding one switch for now, it controls my new power antenna..

5. Get out the drill, or any other necessary tools...hehe i like power tools, it brings out the psycho in me! :crazy:

6. Drill your holes and add your switches or whatever you are adding to full the space...

7. Put the panel back on and the trim and you are finished! Heres a before and after picture...
BEFORE: ....... and AFTER:

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
isnt home depot tuning the greatest? i have never done anything to my car without at least one trip to home depot :thumbup:

heres some more home brew ideas. if your going to put gauges in there angle them, no need to buy them off of ebay though. go to home depot and find PVC pipe with an I.D that will fit the gauge housing. cut the pipe to the length/angle you want and paint it black. you now have a home made angled gauge bezel :thumbup: keep back yard tuning alive!

·
Registered
165 Posts
LIUSPEED said:
make me one ! :thumbup:
lol, you can put together a set of HID headlights, but can't make a switch panel out of an AOL CD cover?
Neva2wicked said:
Amen to that. Now I wonder what else I can use those damn things for
I use the CDs as bird scarers, the shimmering scares them, keeps them from crappin all up in my pool, but a more fun use is as targets they shatter in to a kabillion pieces :D
I'm gonna do this next time I get one of these CDs in the mail, I can't wait.

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the only downside is if you have switches it will pretty much render the cup holders useless... also, if you find the panel too flimsy, you can add something behind it to strengthen it like another cd case piece or cardboard or w/e, but u would obviosly have to make the holes in that also.. but the best part of it is that if you decide to take it off you didnt modify any part of the original console, so it can go back to the original easily.. and the parts are FREE so you wont feel like an idiot if you mess up once or twice.. or have to replace it a few months later...

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neva2wicked said:
You're like a book bro :p

BTW- if anyone's doing this.. you might want to paint it *lol*the cover looks so damn cheap compared to the panel and all.
i thought about doing this too... i will probably add more layers to make it sturdier and paint the top layer... thatll be later though.. i am lazy too. and to get motivated it take alot lol.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does that thing move around at all? No glue used?
[qoute=UnKalledFor]the only downside is if you have switches it will pretty much render the cup holders useless... [/qoute] Does anyone honestly use the cupholders anyway? I can only stick the 20oz cans and small drinks in there cause anything larger pushes against the headunit and messes with the buttons.

·
yesss...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HLBulldog said:
Does that thing move around at all? No glue used?
[qoute=UnKalledFor]the only downside is if you have switches it will pretty much render the cup holders useless... [/qoute] Does anyone honestly use the cupholders anyway? I can only stick the 20oz cans and small drinks in there cause anything larger pushes against the headunit and messes with the buttons.
nope doesn't move at all.. i was thinking of using glue when i started the project, but i realized i didnt need it.. the trim piece keeps it in place perfectly, if you try it you will see what i mean..when i add support to the panel i will use glue to stick the back to the original panel tho... as for the cupholders... its true that they are miniature, and everything i put hits my HU..if i brake hard it hits a button and changes songs or puts it on AM/FM mode lol.. so i usually just hold the cup between my legs...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts