Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you taken a close look at your headlights lately? They are probably faded and hazy like mine unless you have been lucky enough to keep your car in the garage. The sun really takes a toll on the plastic of the headlights and driving lights. Fortunately, you can fix the problem for about $30 and a few hours of wet sanding. The alternative is spend $100 per light for new ones. You can do this one of two ways: Either on the car or off.

Supplies Needed:600, 800, 1500, 2000 grit sand paper, 3M rubbing compound (fine cut), 3M finish restorer
- you can also use Meguire's clear plastic cleaner and clear plastic polish

If you are doing this on the car, get a water hose. You will be wet sanding the lenses. Also, BE CAREFUL not to scratch your paint - you will be using sandpaper here!

Start with the 800 or 600 grit (I used 600 because after starting with the 800 and finishing, it still needed help on some of the haze)
Keep water flowing on it and use small circular motions. Cover the entire area paying special attention to areas that are really ugly looking.
Be sure to cover the whole area.

Go up in grit using the 1500 and the 2000. You should have a very smooth, very hazy lens.

Don't worry about the haze, it comes off in just a second.
Take out your 3M rubbing compound (or the plastic cleaner). Apply some to a cotton rag and buff it into the lens. You should see an immediate improvement. I repeated this twice just to be sure. If you still notice some hazing you can start the process over with 600 grit, hammering on those badly scorched spots. I actually did one light twice.
Now apply the 3M finish restorer (or the plastic polish) Apply it in the same way, buff and remove.

You now, hopefully, have clean and renewed lights and driving lights

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
1,198 Posts
nice thanks for the advice, i've been thinking bout polishing my aux. driving lights. now i know how thanks alot man! :thumbup: and since i alrady have everything except for the compund and polish..and i can't wait to see mine after my 4000 grit paper :rolleyes:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cool thanks,
I'm gonna give that a try on my GF's car. Her's are almost yellow looking, and provide nill light.

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
nice thanks for the advice, i've been thinking bout polishing my aux. driving lights. now i know how thanks alot man! :thumbup: and since i alrady have everything except for the compund and polish..and i can't wait to see mine after my 4000 grit paper :rolleyes:
wait, they make 4k grit!?

i did this, used 600 then 2000 and 3M plastic polish and my lights are still hazy, did it awile ago so im not blaiming this on nismo97.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Yeah 4K grit is like smooth as marble...

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
its not even paper its plastic, and its 2$ a foot, i got like a 6 foot roll

Yeah you'd have to do a crap load of sanding to make that worth while.

I want to learn how to sand glass clear. Since no one makes any crystal clears for mine:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
never even thought about wet sanding headlights i usually use compound and blast them things at like 1600 on a buffer. like butta.....

but before i worked at a detailing shop i used crest toothpaste the regular paste kind. yup. and some elbow grease.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know im a noob and u dont have to listen to me if u dont want but ive always rubbed USED oil on the headlights of my neon...worked everytime and lasts for a while...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Something like motor oil ... or a dressing product like armor all which give a 'wet'' look to the plastic will temporarily make it look clear.

Best to buff out the scratches and clean off the oxidized polymers with very fine abrasive produvts. I use primarily rubbing compounds and waxes with cleaners. This way, the lenses never get too far gone.

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
used motor oil is an abbrasive because of the fine particles it has in it. that dosent sound like a bad idea.

tooth paste also works. (the kind with baking soda)

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you rub oil onto a surface and then rub it off, you'll still leave a thin layer in place until you scrub the area with a degreaser.

As an abrasive, I'd say it is pretty poor. Particles in the oil are not uniform and will probably do more damage than good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Would using toothpaste and adding baking soda to it and just scrub with a cloth do anygood to remove that yellowish, shitlooking stuff off the headlights? Or do you HAVE to wetsand for a brandnew look finish.

·
Registered
299 Posts
so ur saying for 30 bucks i dont need 2 buy new headlights for my birdshit yellow ones on my 240?!?!??!?!
omg!!! lol this is awsome!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts