Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a good way to paint over the plastic chrome parts, such as the donut? I was thinking about changing the chrome to Gold. I got negative reaction from a local body shop. They think it will not stick for mare than a year. Has anyone done this with good results?

·
El Chingon
1,752 Posts
Didn't Altimat black out his chrome plastic parts?

Mask off the four door strips first (Did all with doors in open position). I used 3/4" 3M. Add a 18" paper border. Scuff the trim with a red 3M Scotch-Brite pad. I scuffed the edges of the little end caps as well. Wipe down with alcohol or wax & grease remover, and spray with "Sem" trim black-out in a spray can (takes 4-5 coats for coverage). Everything is available at a body shop supply store. Repeat the process on the roofrail trim when the doors are done, or do it all at once. I painted the little edge of each of the end caps also because they were black anyway and too hard to mask off.
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30001

The same process should work for your idea.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Hazardously WASTED
147 Posts
try using a solvant of thinner on it, i remember when i use to put model cars together the solvant glue use to take the chrome finish off the parts, either that or sand it real good, prime then paint it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My paint stuck great to the window trim but not to the grille hamburger. Had to repaint that with every other car wash!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local body shop wants to experiment on some plastics chrome pieces. I'll be taking them in today. If this works, any chrome piece could be color changed or gold plated. I anyone is interested I'll post the results and process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts