Nissan Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
................... If anyone knows how to disable the DRL, please please please tell me how.
thanks a million.
As others have noted I don't know why you would disable the DRL (daytime running lights), so what do you gain, but the type of DRL, as others have suggested, depends on the market the XTrail was sold in and possibly whether the vehicle has xenon versus halogen headlights. The European XTrails (I assume the German and northern Europe and probably others) use a DRL which actually simply turns on the low beam headlights, the tail lights, marker lights etc. when you turn on the engine, so exactly what happens if you turn the light switch to the second position. In Canadian XTrails the DRL actually turns on only the high beams, and at half voltage. This is done through the DRL control box (behind the left foot panel) and is accomplished by relays which divert the line from one headlight's high beam to put it in series with the second headlight's high beam. So in the Canadian T30 the left headlight is grounded only through the DRL controller, and in DRL mode the left high beam is connected in series with the right high beam. There are two relays in the Canadian DRL controller so the voltage is switched and the ground is switched such that if you turn on the low beams the left headlight returns to 'normal' operation, but all through the DRL controller. It is true that in the Canadian vehicle the DRLs won't come on if the parking brake hasn't been released and that is done through pin 10 of the controller such that when the parking brake is on pin 10 is simply grounded.
I thought the original motivation to disable the DRL had to do with replacing the original halogen headlights with LED and it is true that with the DRL controller in its original configuration in a Canadian XTrail you cannot get LED headlights to work and that is because although halogens, being filament lamps, can function at reduced voltages (so at say 6 volts) LED headlights need around 8 or so volts to even fire so hooking two in series as I recall allows only one to work (at best). If you live in a jurisdiction where functioning DRLs are mandated by law and if you have periodic government vehicle inspections that check than then simply grounding pin 10 of the controller will only get you by if you use a hidden switch you can flip, but that trick will not get you by with LED headlights. For my XTrail I did a lot of bench testing of the LED lamps I bought, with a voltmeter across a bulb and an ammeter and various resistor values in series. That allowed me to predict approximately what resistors in series with the controller circuit to the LED high beams would give me a reasonable light intensity. Coupled with that I did some reconfiguration of the controller that changed some of the wiring, all related to what the relays did. I actually put an external connector block on the top of the controller so I could actually experiment (in the day and night) with resistors to settle on what I decided was the best value (as I recall it was either 15 or 20 ohms in series with each bulb, the resistors being 5 watt) to produce a reasonable DRL.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts