Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
# 0001 Bonavista Owner
509 Posts
DRL

Ice512 said:
PS: If anyone knows how to disable the DRL, please please please tell me how.
thanks a million.

Might be able to help on your "DRL" if I knew what the acronym stood for :confused:

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Ice512 said:
thanks a million.
Although I am not sure of your country's regulations in regards to the legality of disconnecting the daylight running lights, as it is a safety feature and may be required by law, but if you wish to disconnect them at your own risk, then this is where the wiring harness controlling them is located.

It is the big harness located closer to the door in the photo.

We don't have the DRL feature on the xtrail in Australia, but I wish we did, it is a safety feature indeed and quite handy to have.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
Ice512 said:
thanks a million.

First, I must state that I do not agree with disabling DRL. Daytime Running Lamps are mandatory legislation in Canada. And you must realize that any law enforcement officer that notices something is wrong with your system/lights can stop you and deliver you a sizeable fine.

Second, the following wiring procedure is really easy to do, but I must also mention that you do it at your own risk (although I know for a fact that this works).

Third: Here is how one would go about disabling DRL:

Step 1) From the post above by "AussieTrail" you know where to find the daylight control module:
AussieTrail said:
Step 2) Refer to wiring below:

Step 3) What to do & how it works:
The principle (and I think you probably have noticed this) is that when your parking brake is on, the DRL are not operational. Once you start your car they only come on when you release the parking brake.
So the trick here is fooling the daytime light control module in believing that your parking brake is always on!
You do this, just as in the picture, by locating the purple/white wire of terminal 10, cutting it, extending it and grounding it. The other end you insulate and tuck away.
That is it. (before someone asks: Don't worry your hand brake dash warning lamp will not be on all the time)

PS: If you are able/knowledgable with wiring & soldering you can add a toggle switch (tucked away somewhere) that would give you the option of enabling or disabling your DRL. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
u can actually just pull a prong out of the head light just not sure which prong it is?

my hids automatically turned em off lol

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Marc, the pics I posted IS the solution without the need to cut any wires. Just disconnecting the harness I have shown will be enough to disbale the DRL. I think it is an easier option than cutting wires ;)

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
aussietrail said:
..... without the need to cut any wires. Just disconnecting the harness I have shown will be enough to disbale the DRL.......
hummmmm, not sure if there could be differences in models having DRL modules but I have checked and re-checked the wiring diagrams for this on the Canadian edition and sorry to say this but you cannot simply disconnect the harness from the module because your lights will not work properly; for example one of the beams (left hand high beam and ground) is directly connected to the DRL control module. If you disconnect no power will reach the left hand high beam. ;)

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Aah, yes you're right. There could be a difference in the light configuration between models. This method (i.e. disconnecting the harness) worked well with the Russian version xtrail. Sorry, I forgot about that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi guys, I just ordered my HID as well... I know there a few guys on here that use HID. I'm wondering the same thing, do we need to disable the DRL to use HID ??? The ballast does it have the feature to disable it for us ?
And why do we need to disable it ??? from what i heard from a friend, the reason we have to do this becuase it actually damage the bulbs/ballast if we dont use the full voltage to the HID. Is this true ?

Thank You

·
Registered
1 Posts
daytime running lights

If you want to run HID's then yes you need to disconnect the DRL feature. I'm about to do that for the same reason. For what it's worth, when I do this on my own vehicles I add a set of led daytime lights and often wire them so the daytime light feature adds the rear and side lights, very good to have in low light conditions.I usually put the DRL feature on a separate disable switch for versatility.Grounding out the parking brake wire is usually the easiest way for most makes.In canada there is no law that you have to use your DRL, many factory vehicles come with disable switches.

loren

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 nissan juke led DRLs

on the 2013 nissan juke nismo models the LED fog lights turn off when the headlights are on. does anyone know where i can find the relay so i can trigger them on at will?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah i have a patrol platinum andI have been trying to figure out how to do this as well.. It's a pity that there is no button to do this. I understand the safety features and stuff but sometimes you just wanna park your car and sit inside it for a while without being noticed that Ur in the car.. I'm not pulling out any cables from my car, I think I'll just go over to the dealership and have my LEDs fitted with a switch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Me and my friend installed a HID kit on my 2005 X-Trail (T-30) couple years ago. Since the OEM headlight handle everything (DRL, High beam, Low beam), he designed a circuit board with a 5V relay that connect to a pair of LED Bulb as DRL instead. The relay powered from the High beam prong of H4 plug that DRL current should only turn on the LED, which powered direct from car battery. However I found that recently it also turn on HID as High beam after a short drive. Sometime the High Beam even turn on the moment I release the e-brake. Could anyone tell me what did I do wrong? I did piss someone on the road and chase after me with high beam because of that. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the after market Nissan X-trail daytime running light, it usually with ACC, BATT, ILL cable, if with yellow turning light function, it also come with a cable connecting to the turning light.
What ILL is used for is to DIM the DRL, means when the headlamp is on, the DRL will be half brightness.
There it will be easy to disable the DRL, just DISCONNECT the ACC or BATT, the DRL will be not working.

For the car come with the original DRL, it is similar with this solution I think, because it need to get the power from BATT, so just disconnect the ACC or BATT cable(usually there will be a sticker on the cable) will be OK

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "Ice512, viesti: 1152251, jäsen: 60759"]
................... Jos joku osaa poistaa DRL: n käytöstä, kerro kuinka.
Kiitos miljoonasti.
[/LAINATA]
päivänvalon ohjausyksikkö (DRL) pienempi johtojen liitin irti,ei muuta tarvvitse tehdä.

·
Registered
722 Posts
[QUOTE = "Ice512, viesti: 1152251, jäsen: 60759"]
................... Jos joku osaa poistaa DRL: n käytöstä, kerro kuinka.
Kiitos miljoonasti.
[/LAINATA]
päivänvalon ohjausyksikkö (DRL) pienempi johtojen liitin irti,ei muuta tarvvitse tehdä.
Translated
daylight control unit (DRL) smaller wires connector disconnected, nothing else needs to be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daytime Running Lights, I'm guessing.
Though I can't imagine why'd you want to disable that quasi-safety feature.
To watch a movie at the drive in theaters with the air on and windows up.... rather then get eaten alive by mosquitoes, or having the windows up to get so foggy you can't see out them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts