Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how shoudl i go about cleaning the egr valve? i got a code 32 which pretty much says somethings not movin like its supposed to. i was just wondering how to go about cleaning it out, maybe someone has a how to or some pics? thanks alot! :cheers:

·
Registered
78 Posts
you might be able to free up the mechanism by removing the air intake, then reaching from below it and pushing on the vacuum diaphram. More than likely it will have a crunchy sound (From carbon buildup), but try to work it up and down a few times. I think there is about half an inch of travel in it. Maybe you could disconnect the exhaust inlet and vacuum it out, but other than that, I wouldn't spray anything in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cleaning EGR

When my ECU gave me 32 I checked the hoses and in fact they were all cracked. If yours are ok but they are full of buildup, canned air, the kind for computers, works really well. But if the buildup is in the EGR dont use the canned air. My brother did and it screwed it up bad. Just thought I'd put my two cents in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
been having idle loping probs(yay) since i flushed the oil,replaced plugs, and pcv.

wanted to check the EGR myself... not sure how to tell exactly if it is clogged.... i replaced 2 hoses, (BPT?)=>EGR, and the bottom hose from BPT to some metal pipe (forgot where it goes)....my question:

i matched best i could replacement hoses from Checker's Auto... they fit, i feel no leaks, but i made the BPT-EGR hose a lil' longer (by maybe 1or2 cm), since it seemed to look "pinched" before (though im sure it wasnt). Could this be a problem? If something is wrong with it, how much does one usually cost?

·
a constipated monkey
143 Posts
i got an egr code a while back and it turned out to be a desintegrated hose. There will prolly be tons of carbon depostis in the valve itself too. A wire brush like the ones used to clean the insides of copper plumbing pipe works real well. If i remember correctly the haynes guide said that solvents could damage the diaphragm, so stick to brushes to clean out the egr itself

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Solidox2k said:
been having idle loping probs(yay) since i flushed the oil,replaced plugs, and pcv.

wanted to check the EGR myself... not sure how to tell exactly if it is clogged.... i replaced 2 hoses, (BPT?)=>EGR, and the bottom hose from BPT to some metal pipe (forgot where it goes)....my question:

i matched best i could replacement hoses from Checker's Auto... they fit, i feel no leaks, but i made the BPT-EGR hose a lil' longer (by maybe 1or2 cm), since it seemed to look "pinched" before (though im sure it wasnt). Could this be a problem? If something is wrong with it, how much does one usually cost?
idleing problems can mainly be caused the IACV(idle air control valve) http://nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=79058.scroll aout 1/2 way down and look at the pics that should do the trick. It is a very simple procedure that takes 5 min and a can of carb cleaner and some cotton swabs

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
All of you need to clean your IAC valve. Idol air control valve.
When you start your car does it rev up, then drop below idol quickly, then hesitates and sounds like its going to die. Sometimes going back to idol, and others stalling?
Then cleaning you IAC valve will cure this problem.
This is the valve:

If your inner cylinder is not green, you need to clean it. The inner barrel turns and vents air into your throttle body. Hence the name Idol Air Coltrol valve.
When carbon and sutt build up on the barrels, it doesnt want to open up as easily. Has a tendency to get stuck.
Go ahead and get a can of carb cleaner, and some q-tips.
Remove the two screws that holds the IAC onto the throttle body. You are going to have to use a large headed screwdriver. If not you will strip the screws.
Remove the eclectrical plug. Set it to the side.
Get your carb cleaner.Spray it onto the barrels, and wipe the grime away with your q-tip.
There is a thin paper gasket, if you are carfull enough you will not have to replace it.
Slap the valve back in its home, screw it down, replace elictrical plug.
Get into your car, start it up, and presto, problem solved.

if you look at the green/black thing that he is showing you in the pic you just clean it untill its all green

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i meant the egr, i dont have idle probs or anything but my code 32 says somethign with the egr isnt functioning, just wondering where the carbon is at, thanks for the help though

·
Registered
199 Posts
is the AIC the same as the AACV on the FCID assembly on the 93 sentra xe???

thanx for the advice, im checking the FCID/AAC in a few. but still, would a difference in a couple of centimeters of hose mess anything up (by being just that much longer?)?

haynes said to test the egr by pushing on the valve under it.... its not 'hard' per say, but if i do it 5 or more times repeatedly, my fingers get a lil' tired...

i think if carbon built up, it'd be in the hose outlet, and maybe inside (dunno if its possible to dismantle w/o problems)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts