Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Registered
633 Posts
So does this procedure take the place of one of those code reader devices you can buy at auto supply stores?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, in fact many many vehicles out there can output the codes without a scan tool if you know how to do it. I remember some cars that you can flip the ignition on and off a few times and the "Check Engine Light" (CEL) will blink and you can count the blinks for a code.

In this case, its the same idea, just an LED on the ECU blinks instead of the CEL. Like the other method, you just have to count how many times the red and green LED's blink to get the code.

Also, for future reference, if you ever need to get a CEL code from a vehicle, Autozone and Advance will do it for free.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Do you know if the codes changed for '97? The attached write up above says for 1987-1995 (I'm drivin' a '97 HB).

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have a 96 or newer then you can just use a regular ODB-II reader to read the codes. Auto Zone will do it for free.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Auto Zone, eh? Is that a parts supply store or a repair shop chain? Not too familiar with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info! My check engine light just came on today.

If I counted the blinks correctly I have a code 23 - Idle Switch.

Has anyone dealt with this code before?

Anyone know where the idle switch is located on a 95' 4cyl 5 speed?

Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks
did you ever get a response to where the idle switch is?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I have a bench seat...and when I sllid it forward...the box goes with it. :( Anyone else have the bench? Did you take the bench out or take the box off?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts

Thanks
Code 23 wasn't used in 95. Sure it's not code 32? If so, that's for EGR malfunction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if anyone else had the same confusion as me. Not sure if I misunderstood the directions or if they are that confusing. I think it's supposed to read like this...

turn the screw fully clockwise-engine light goes out-then it starts flashing to indicate the 5 modes(so it flashes 2,3,4,5,1 and repeats)-turn fully counter clockwise to select the mode after it flashes.

the 5 seconds is a guidline for how long it takes to get to 3 flashes...not how to get to the trouble codes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my '94 King Cab VG30e I have to remove the seat to see the blinking LEDs. The computer was mounted so that the lights are facing the center console and impossible to see with the seat in place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah. It's clear to me that one group designed the computer, and another group designed the body and wiring, and didn't account for where the diagnostic LEDs or the screw are located. At least pulling the passenger's bucket seat isn't that hard.

Never had to do this with a bench. Hope I never have to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For my bench I just put it all the way back...jam my hand in at a funny angle and lay my head on the floor...

·
Registered
1 Posts
95 NB problem

I ran this diagnostics test on my 95 HB 2.4L and the code I come up with was crazy. This is how it went 1 long blink, then 2 long blinks, then 3 short blinks, then 4 short blinks, then 5 short blinks. each number of blinks were divided by a short pause. and all were the red led. can anyone please tell me what code this is.

The problem Im having with the motor is ( I hope I can explain this good enough to understand) While taking off when the rpms get to about 3300 it starts jumping as if it hit the rev limiter. once the rpms are above that point it straightens out and runs fine. Its alot worse when the motor is cold. The other problem is while driving down the road in 5th gear and holding speed it will start to stutter. It will stutter for a sec then run fine for a few minutes then stutter for a sec then run fine for a few minutes.

Anyone have any clue what could be my problem and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any advice

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.