Nissan Forum banner

How to check engine codes?

6300 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  master13g
G
I know I dont have a sentra, but both my mom and my girlfriend have sentras, both which seem to be running quite strangely lately. Moms car under warranty so thats goin right to the dealer, but girlfriends car is kinda messed up. Pickup has gone down and its burnin oil kinda quick.. i think it may be the O2 sensors. Can somebody please tell me how to get the checkin codes? I know with mmost american cars u can put a wire in the diagnostics under specific jumpers and turn the key to ON and it will reveal the engine error codes, but i have been readin on how to get it off this 96 sentra, and it makes no sense to me. Unscrewing the entire unit and turning it?? Somebody please make some sense of this for me. Thank you
1 - 1 of 18 Posts
more engine codes

Hi,

I'm a newbie here in Nissan Forums. I've been helping a buddy do an engine swap. We swapped a 89 GA16ei into a 87 pulsar chasis... Well, long story short... We got most of the wiring figured out but there are a few small things left... First of all, CEL is saying : 3 short, 4 short, 5 short, 1 long, 2 long. I don't know how to interpret Nissan trouble codes. HELP please!!!!

On a different topic :

If anyone else knows... In the Chilton book it lists the GA16ei engine as having 43 wires coming out of the ECM but we counted and we actually have 47 wires total. We have been trying to trace as many of the wires as possible. The strange thing is that when we first completed the swap, the engine would turn over and fire right up, but now we've been having some problems with firing it up. Some of our guys have been thinking it has something to do with the ignition coil... Thanks in advance
1 - 1 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.