Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this would be really helpful for future X-trail buyers to do research. (Including me :loser: of course) Or listing the invoice price certainly helpful.

no matter if it is in Can $, Mexico $, or anywhere else.
I know you guys like your x-trail. so do I after the test drive. anyway....

Maybe in this fashion would help
example:

Alberta, XE AWD-AT, (1.9% finance), Can$31000(w/ GST/PAST)
Options: Traction control, spoiler, , cargo net, extend warranty.
Special deal: 1.9% finance rate, lifetime oil change, 3 yr roadside..etc.

I know I am asking a lot, but hey, guess why people find out this forum in the first place, they want information about the car they are gonna get.
and I think provide this information would help the forum grow too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
X-Trail SE AWD 5-Speed

· Vehicle purchase price: $27,700 (approx. 2000 below MSRP)
· Freight/PDI: $1,000
· Nissan genuine trailer hitch (installed with wiring) $600
· Winter tires (BFG Winter Slalom) mounted and balanced on steel rims: $850
· Air Tax $100
· Gas Tax $75

Total: $30,325

I'm leasing at 4.7% for 36 months, "0 down", and my monthly payment including taxes is $544. My first payment consisted of an NFC admin charge of $75 or so, first and last month's lease, plus the standard security deposit of 50% of the payment rounded to the nearest $50.

I'm pretty happy with the deal I got. Here's how I did it:

1. Contacted 4 dealerships in my area by phone to ask to speak to a salesperson.

2. Asked the lucky random salesperson if he'd be interested in bidding on my business via email. I obtained his email addresses.

3. I did my own research on each of the items I wanted. I used the Nissan.ca website and other sources. In my case, I happened to get the factory invoice price from a leasing company who was also bidding on my business (they didn't get the deal because their admin fees were too high). In my email, I offered $400 over invoice in my target price for the vehicle, and broke out all the line items to eliminate confusion.

4. I sent the email indicating the targets, and requested a response indicating if they could meet the targets, including the monthly payment, and if there were any other charges. I used my own leasing calculator to ensure they were disclosing everything when I double-checked their math. If I was out to lunch on a particular target, I asked them to correct me.

5. One of the dealers never responded. Another insisted I come in to the dealership to be "taken seriously". Another simply couldn't meet my price on some items, and wasn't providing prices for others. The last guy, Brian at St-Clair Nissan, phoned me up and said "Yeah, we can meet these prices, except..."

It turned out I hadn't properly factored in the labor to install the hitch (fair enough) and he couldn't sell me the tires that cheap. When I told him a local tire shop was selling that very package for $820, he said no problem, they'd buy the tires there and add them to my lease. For the convenience, I had no problems with them marking the tires up a bit. The numbers he gave me all checked out when I calculated them myself.

Overall, it was the best car-buying experience I'd ever had. No nonsense, no BS, no hard sell. I was able to double-check all the numbers in the comfort of my own computer chair, instead of being pressured and confused at the dealership while the salesguy played good-cop/bad-cop with the sales manager.

Anyway, I highly recommend St-Clair Nissan to other folks in the Greater Toronto Area. Their service department is friendly (although they haven't yet fixed my rattles...) and the sales guys are great. And no, I'm in no way affiliated with them and I'm not receiving any payment for this endorsement. :)

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
2003 X-Trail S/T AWD 5 Speed: $18,995.00.

·
Registered
301 Posts
GoRay said:
Alberta, XE AWD-AT, (1.9% finance), Can$31000(w/ GST/PAST)
Options: Traction control, spoiler, , cargo net, extend warranty.
Special deal: 1.9% finance rate, lifetime oil change, 3 yr roadside..etc.
(Slightly off-topic)

I guess this is just an example? So far as I can determine, Traction Control is available only on the LE with VDC (unfortunately). The FWD versions have a snow mode which probably is some sort of traction control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Publication of car costs in Canada

By the way, you can find out the dealer cost at http://www.carcostcanada.com - I think you have to pay $40cdn to find out the cost of 5 different vehicles but it's definitely worth it. Side-by-side, you can see the MSRP and dealer cost along with current rebates, incentives, and financing options.

Keep in mind that the listed cost might not be what your dealer paid - they get discounts for buying large quantities, etc.

Some dealerships offer you a price directly through the site, but they're not the best offers - a local dealership automatically offered me $1000 above cost, but I one-upped them with getting it at cost. (yeah me)

As a general rule of thumb, Nissan's and Honda's aren't marked up that much in Canada. Expect a max of 9% below MSRP for domestic vehicles and 7% off MSRP for imports - at least, that's what I heard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
x-traction: yes, It is an example. I know XE doesn't come with TC option.

and pookczek, I know that is a good site but It was from the east, I know it is not as good in BC or Alberta, where car price is difference from the east.
so the point of this thread is to share different sources, so that people can compare when they buy. :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
GoRay said:
I know that is a good site but It was from the east, I know it is not as good in BC or Alberta, where car price is difference from the east.
so the point of this thread is to share different sources, so that people can compare when they buy. :cheers:
Hmm, I didn't know it was from the east. Does that mean I could have gotten them down a few more dollars? Oh well. Hindsight is always 20/20.

·
Registered
39 Posts
:)
new here... have been researching this vehicle since they came out
test driven 7 times...have found this site quite useful...have the LE down to 1700 off the sticker price... concerned now about these car noises..., hoping to take the plunge soon :cheers:

·
Registered
417 Posts
So what is the Dealer invoice on on a AWD XE with auto, or a LE with VDC?

The MSRP on Nissan Canada's site is

LE with VDC = $34,898
XE with Auto = $31,698

We are considering negotiating on one of these, depending on what the Dealer Invoice is and what we can get it for.

·
Registered
417 Posts
chansen said:
I think you mean SE, not XE.

MSRP for XE AWD Auto is $28,298
Right, sorry about that it is the SE.

The MSRP on Nissan Canada's site is

LE with VDC = $34,898
SE with Auto = $31,698

I'm wondering if anybody knows the typical Dealer's Invoice (what the dealer pays) is for those models?

Using pookczek's 7% off MSRP (Imports) rule we get:

LE = $32,455
SE = $29,479

So I can start dealing/haggling from those prices?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, I'll be buying an XE (or maybe SE) auto late next week or early the following week. My car was stolen, and I have to wait that long for the settlement. I was going to get apa.ca membership and get the invoice pricing from them. PM me if you want anything from them in particular.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ViperZ said:
Using pookczek's 7% off MSRP (Imports) rule we get:

LE = $32,455
SE = $29,479

So I can start dealing/haggling from those prices?
I paid $34,400 for an LE including all taxes, delivery charges, and doc fees. I didn't get VDC or any of the extra items offered by the financial people (extended warranty, rust-proof, window etching, etc). I'm pretty happy with that deal and am pretty sure you can get the same deal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
pookczek, in Alberta, there's no PST, correct? So you paid $34,400 with GST. That's $32,150 before taxes. Assuming you ave gas and air taxes totalling $175 like Ontario, and an admin fee of about $200, the MSRP with those fees is $34,475 for an LE without VDC. You got about a 6.7% discount. Not too shabby.

In early discussions with a local dealership, he allowed $1,200 off an XE Auto AWD, or about 4%. In a telephone discussion, I got 6% from another dealer, who is a little further afield. My last step is to go back to the local guy and let him know how disappointed I am that another dealership close by gave me $600 more off the top, over the phone, when I came to see him personally. If he wants to keep my business local, he has to beat 6% by at least $100. Though I may just go back to the guy who offered me 6% and work out a deal with him.

The third local dealership I called gave me the song and dance about how they would not be undersold, he needs a commitment to start the process, his job was to help his manager and I arrive at a price we could both agree on, blah, blah, blah. I will not be going there. I HATE the "we need a commitment before we can talk price" crap. Hate it. I will not deal with anyone who feeds me that line.

Anyway, I feel I'm close to the best deal I can get. Probably won't bother with apa.ca now.

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Australian Price

Hi Guys,

Bought mine in Feb. '03 for a total price of $30,000 AUS (on road cost nothing more to pay) this included a change-over from my '97 Toyota Camry which was valued at $8,500 AUS.

So I only had to make-up the difference, which was $21,500 AUS.

The above prices included the following extras which I scored for free:

15" Alloy Wheels
Cruise Control (this was not standard in Series I)
Cargo Blind
Front Fog Lights
Carpet Mats
Auto Trans. at no extra cost (usually they sell for $2000 AUS extra over the Manual)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts